Mystery water leak

Oldnbold

Seaman
Boat: 1995 wellcraft eclipse 232 with carbed 7.4 Earlier this spring I took off the lower unit and replace the original U joints. Since bolting it up I have had more bilge water than normal. Yesterday while on a sandbar I look back and saw and heard Water entering the bilgeat a rate of a gallon per minute. Bilge pump was working so I got home ok. The problem is I can’t locate exactly the source as my original assumption was the y pipe was leaking way down at the bottom and can’t see. Today I’m finding that I can only get it to leak at that 1gpm rate if I trim way up like at sandbar.
Any ideas what is causing this leak?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check the bellows for cracks or not clamped well at both ends.

Did you change the bellows during the universal joint change?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I would also wonder about the condition of the transom itself - whether it is rotted out or not. If there is wood rot, (which you really cannot see due to the fiberglass skin), your transom can flex and cause problems. Simply something to check. You can usually tap with the handle of a screwdriver on the transom around the outdrive and see if the sound changes. You can also drill some small holes near the bottom of the transom on the inside of the boat and see if dry sawdust comes out... or wet mush.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Y pipe leaks motor running or not.Transom leaks running or not. If it happens when you trim up then suspect the shift bellow or main bellow

Oldnbold

Seaman
Winner winner chicken dinner for BT doctor. Turns out the shift bellows had a hole. I replaced them all