5.7 mercruiser bogging

New boat owner. Just bought a beautiful...or so I thought...1993 Celebrity Status 221 CC.

It's been out of the water for 2 years, less than 500 hours reading on the boat. Looks to be well kept. However, there are quite a few issues that have become apparent to me. Let's start with the bogging.

So, we put the boat in a pond for shake down. Boat had to be manually primed, hard to start but eventually did. For a couple hours we couldn't get more than 1000 rpm while the drive was engaged. Oddly enough she could rev and hold up to 3000, we wouldn't push her beyond this.

We assumed that it was bad gas, she was half full of, what I assume was 2 year old gas. Filled her with high octane and additives to help with that.

Next day we could get her to 2000 but she would constantly shut off at lower rpm. Opened the carb and noted that the starboard side of the carb /jet?? was just pouring gas into the carb and maybe flooding it?? I thought that it would be a fine mist but that side was just pouring it in.

Any thoughts on what it might be? I'm thinking that I should pull all the gas and replace new...my lawnmower will love it! But I'm also thinking she may need a carb adjustment or replacement jets...I assume that's what they are called.

Thanks in advance.

SK

Newfoundland, Canada

Attachments

• photo316406.jpg
    photo316406.jpg
    962.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316407.jpg
    photo316407.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316407.jpg
    photo316407.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316408.jpg
    photo316408.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316409.jpg
    photo316409.jpg
    922.7 KB · Views: 0

Kola16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the tank was half full of bad gas, then you filled it with half good gas, then you have a full tank of bad gas basically. Drain the whole tank of gas, and clean your fuel filters. You should have one along your fuel line to your carburetor or in your carburetor. You also have one on the front starboard side of your motor known as your fuel/water separator. It looks like an oil filter. Twist it off and pour the contents of the fuel/water separator into a clear glass jar to inspect what is inside. Water or other crap will sit at the bottom of the glass jar and look kind of like a blob separated from the gas.

Those carburetors do put quite a bit of gas into the motor so without seeing how much gas is going in makes it hard to say if your carb is giving it too much. Your motor burns roughly 0.63 liters per minute around 3500 RPM. Think about pouring a half a liter in 1 minute...

Thanks, I'll drain the gas over the next couple of days and clean the filters as you suggested.

One thing to note on gas pouring into the carb...only the starboard side was doing it, didnt see gas from the other side at all.

Thanks again!
SK

Thanks, I'll drain the gas over the next couple of days and clean the filters as you suggested.

One thing to note on gas pouring into the carb...only the starboard side was doing it, didnt see gas from the other side at all.

Thanks again!
SK

NewfieCelebrity, where are you from on the rock?
Clyde