Fuel pump not getting voltage, low oil pressure?

Dazzed

Cadet
Changed the oil and tried to manually prime the pump with the a drill and an old distributor. Didn't work🤦‍♂️ gonna pull the motor and inspect/ change the pump. Fortunately I still have my old parts motor. Hopefully there's no damage to the cam bearings. Is there an easy way to check with the oil pan off?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Once you have the engine out and the oil pan off it should be obvious if anything is wrong with the pump or pickup. And it wouldn't be the cam bearings so much as the main and rod bearings that I would be concerned about. You can pull a cap off and look and see if there is any excess wear.

Dazzed

Cadet
Ok. Question, if they are worn and need to be replaced, can I get larger than .030 over? The engine was already remanufactured with.030.
I'll be mounting on a stand, should I just rebuild everything anyway?

alldodge

Staff member
If block is in good shape it can be bored up to .060 so you have some room to work

NHGuy

Captain
If/When you go to install the pump come back and get us in on it. The pickup has to be set at a proper depth in the pan and brazed or welded in place. If you go this route the Melling standard pumps are terrific. There's no need for a high pressure or high flow pump because boat engines run at much higher rpms than cars. The higher rpms give plenty of pressure and flow.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Ok. Question, if they are worn and need to be replaced, can I get larger than .030 over? The engine was already remanufactured with.030.
I'll be mounting on a stand, should I just rebuild everything anyway?

When you say it was remanufactured with .030 - do you mean the bearings or rings? If you mean the bearings, and the crank is messed up, then no, I don't think they can turn the crank more than that. (Could be wrong - but never seen anything more than that).

If you mean rings, then you can always do a compression test and see how your compression is. But there too - I personally wouldn't bore out a marine engine more than .030.

Dazzed

Cadet
So I got the motor out and pulled the oil pump. The pickup tube is in fact welded to the pump and appears to be working but I'm not totally sure what to look for as far as it working. What do I need to look for? If it is good, what else could it be? Another thing is that the pickup was touching the bottom of the pan and left a scratched ring if that's anything

alldodge

Staff member
Was the scratch ring a complete or almost complete ring?
If it was the motor may have been having trouble sucking oil up

Dazzed

Cadet
Partially through, see the pics. You can see the difference between the new and old. Old one has a shield above the screen. I also had a look at most of the bearings and took some pictures, should I replace?

Attachments

• photo316780.jpg
    photo316780.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316781.jpg
    photo316781.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316782.jpg
    photo316782.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316783.jpg
    photo316783.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316784.jpg
    photo316784.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316785.jpg
    photo316785.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316786.jpg
    photo316786.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316787.jpg
    photo316787.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316788.jpg
    photo316788.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316789.jpg
    photo316789.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
This is the old

fetch

This is the new

fetch

Dazzed

Cadet
This is the old

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?photoid=10770816"**[/IMG2]

This is the new

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?photoid=10770813"**[/IMG2]

Nope, the old one has the white oil residue left from the cracked block. The other one without the guard and the garbage weld on it, is from the motor that was remanufactured by quicksilver (Mexico) the motor I'm trying to fix.

alldodge

Staff member
Sure wonder how the pan got a full round circle in a pan without full contact

alldodge

Staff member
All Dodge, What are you on about?

After reading your post 4 times, I think I understand. There isn't an old and new, its a real old (previous block) and not so old (reman block). I couple of your bearings don't look bad but not great and pics can be deceiving sometimes. The two with the slight scores is my focus.

Dazzed

Cadet
Yes, exactly! Bit confusing, they're both 90-92 ish. so I decided to change the bearings anyway and noticed a nick on the crankshaft. Probably from the previous rebuild no doubt. Not sure if it's significant enough to cause an oil blockage, but I have a spare motor anyway, so I'm going to see if that crankshaft is in better shape.

alldodge

Staff member
Take it to a machine shop and get them to polish the crank. When putting back together check with plastic gauge

Dazzed

Cadet
Hey everyone,
Thought I'd chime in here with an update. So as it turned out, the oil pump was not installed correctly and as a result wasn't pumping oil, which led to other issues causing damage to the crankshaft (gouges) I ended up pulling the crank shaft and having it reground. The machinist was In shock after taking measurements, it was more than 20,000th out from one side to the other. Quicksilver did a **** poor job on this remanufactured block. Anyway, I put it all back together with new bearings and my old pump, not taking any chances, and now runs like a top! Just want to thank everyone for there help and input, couldn't have figured it out without you. Cheers!