Ignition timing lead

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ignition timing lead

1998 5.7L V8 (M048938)

2 bbl Mercarb

Thanks in advance for help on what some may find a silly question. New to Mercruiser engines and still learning. Appreciate all the great help on this forum.

Where is the ignition timing lead typically found? Is the other end of that purple/white wire connected to something on the block?

I see the purple/white wire from the ignition control module. I lose it once it goes into bundle or wrapped wires. The bundle of wires that come out by the alternator and electric fuel pump don’t include a purple/white wire.

Is the other end of that purple/white wire that runs to the ignition timing lead connected to something on the block? Or is it just a lead and is not connected to anything? (Hence the name.)

I found a purple/white wire with a female connector that isn’t connected to anything. The female connector has a rubber plug in it. I’m not sure if this is the ignition timing lead or a disconnected wire.

Is the ignition timing lead connected to something on the block?

Thanks

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Untitledt4.jpg
click to enlarge

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the diagram from the service manual.

3A is knock sensor

1D is the oil pressure sender

2D is the water temp sender

1C is the oil pressure switch

3C is the water temp switch

Etc

I can find where each of those are on the block.

2A is the timing lead. Where will I find this on the block? Is it connected to the block? Or a free wire available solely to set engine into base timing mode (not connected to anything)?

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo316380.jpg
    photo316380.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

zealer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It is probably the one with that rubber plug in it. Usually found near the carb choke wires

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is probably the one with that rubber plug in it. Usually found near the carb choke wires

Thanks.

So, it’s not connected to anything. It’s a free standing wire. Is that correct?