7.4l engine removal

demaris

Seaman Apprentice
ok, per my previous post regarding the replacement of the wye exhaust pipe, motor obviously has to come out. upon researching i am seeing posts that indicate that the stern drive must come off first. what is the reason for this?

and a secondary question, is there a need for any specialty tools beyond a crane to remove the engine? 7.4l, 1996 vintage, carburetored.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... The design of the motor mounts requires the motor be lifted straight up a few inches, before it's pulled forward, 'n out,......
The drive's shaft is 2" deep in the coupler, so liftin' the motor will bend the shaft or the coupler,......

Same problem goin' back in,....

Besides that, when a motor is pulled it as to be aligned when put back in, which requires the drive be off,....
So, you'll need an alignment bar,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as Bondo stated, you also need to re-align the motor any time you so much as touch one of the mount bolts, and the drive needs to be off to do that.

spend the 45 minutes to pull the drive (if you have been doing it every year for the annual inspection, it will only take you about 20 minutes

then disconnect fuel, exhaust hoses, throttle and shift cables, unplug the electrical harness, and disconnect the battery leads

undo the transom mount bolts and pull the front mount bolts (or undo the nuts on the adjustment)

lift up, move foreward, then lift out of boat.

demaris

Seaman Apprentice
got it. thanks for the info. you make it sound easy. i suspect it's something other. :)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its actually much easier than you think. unless you havent been pulling the drive annually..... and there is corrosion.... however other than that one potential lack of maintenance self-induced issue, pulling the motor on a boat is really easy.

demaris

Seaman Apprentice
ok, got it so far. you mention an alignment tool. i suspect that i can find this with a google search? any other secrets, nifty diy finds, tools or procedures that you know of? any non-mercruiser substitutes that actually work better or at least as good but less expensive?

in nv, will arrive at boat in fla in january. want to have all anticipated tools and parts with me in the van.
thanks again for the help

Bondo

Staff member
i suspect that i can find this with a google search? any other secrets, nifty diy finds, tools or procedures that you know of?

Ayuh,..... Click the link in my signature titled Don'S Adults Only section,.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the alignment tool is about $20 on ebay. complete tool set and bellows kit with new gimbal bearing is about $180.

is this a new to you FL boat? as most people in florida dont do maintenance, so you may find some corrosion.

demaris

Seaman Apprentice
yes, new to me as of april. bought in cape coral from an older gentleman. don't want to think ill of him and did have a survey done though i made the mistake of telling the surveyor that it was for insurance purposes. was stored on a lift. he had been meticulous about maintaince but my inexperience with io units should have set off alarms; there was salt water in the bilge and i saw the bilge pump run once. by okechobee it was apparent that we were taking on water but the pump was easily keeping up with it. by stuart the power steering pressure hose developed a leak and that was the end of the power steering. by st aug it was taking on about 20 gal every 15 minutes. had it hauled, couldn't get it fixed there, end of the season etc etc.
arranged for matt of matt marine transport to trailer (35ft, 18000lbs!) the 28 miles to green cove springs. nothing but fun.

final sitrep: stbd engine now has a coolant leak complements of the mech (i use that term loosely) that fixed the power steering hence the inability to motor around to green cove. the port engine has the exhaust bellows disconnected and plugged at the stern drive and the two ports which also exhaust on either side of the drive are plugged. stopped the leak so i suspect the wye pipe and have actually purchased one in reno at a good price that i will take east in january.

sorry for the long winded report.

demaris

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,..... Click the link in my signature titled Don'S Adults Only section,.....

great catch don. that list will help a lot. some of the mercruiser pdf's, ie tech notes, only show 1 page. is that me and my browser or is that on the other end?