Starter fuse replacement - is this the correct one?

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can someone confirm if this is the right fuse for a Mercruiser 4.3 starter?
88-79023A91

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Yes, designed to protect the alt and its wiring.but the downside is that it also is wired to the ships main power. Blow the fuse ans your dead in the water. I remove the Red wire and connect it directly to the battery post, that wiring is protected by the 50A circuit breaker .That way you could lose the charging but still have the motor run.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
or if its a bear to get to install a 80A Maxi-Fuse
51wQ1-EKB%2BL.jpg

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the suggestions BT.
I've got no power to the boat. Checked the for power at the ignition switch and nothing there. Inspecting the fuse and it is pretty corroded, so that is why I'm replacing. It might not be the reason for no power, but seeing that it was rusted and corroded, was thinking to replace it.

I have red and orange wires that go to the fuse on one grommet. Any idea what the orange one is?

Just for clarification, your suggestion about using the 80A maxi fuse, is that to replace the existing fuse or is that to attach between the red wire and the battery post?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
To replace the plastic one, a bear to change in the water with a rocking boat. The Red is your main system power that goes thru the 50 A circuit breaker. The Orange is alt output back to the battery.

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info BT.
I ended up going with the original fuse. It was the one most available to me. I'll probably regret it someday.
On the good news side, I've got power again! Bulge pump still not working....I'll investigate that later!
Thanks again!