Broke lower unit bolt by prop, can i still use boat?

Brandon H.

Cadet
Next weekend we have a planned family trip and I wanted to throw a fresh impeller in the boat before we go. All the bolts came out fine except the one closest to the prop, the head of the bolt broke. I wont be able to fix in time before this trip, will I still be able to use the boat with the bolt broken just for this trip? If so should I baby it?

To fix my thought was to put a nut on and and weld it nice and hot and hope to try and move it when its hot. Would it be better to hit it with an impact it hopes it breaks free, or breaker bar?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Would you still drive your car if one of the bolts holding the gearbox together was broken? Or let me put it another way. If that bolt wasn't required, why would the manufacturer have put it there in the first place?

As for removing it, yes welding a nut to it is a good idea. But wait for it to cool a little before trying to turn it.

Chris...

Bondo

Staff member
To fix my thought was to put a nut on and and weld it nice and hot and hope to try and move it when its hot. Would it be better to hit it with an impact it hopes it breaks free, or breaker bar?

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... I'm a firm believer in Heat, 'n Quench, myself,......

Weld the nut on, puttin' as much heat as possible into the broken bit, 'n then Quench it with water,......
The double shock usually breaks the corrosion up, so it'll come out,.....
Pen-oil also helps after the water quench,....

I'd go with the Impact, over a breaker bar,.....

Brandon H.

Cadet
Well I guess it means canceling our family trip. There is no way I will be able to fix it by this week. I spent the whole weekend replacing the axle on our trailer and this bolt is what ended this trip, really sucks.

Bondo

Staff member
Well I guess it means canceling our family trip.

Ayuh,.... While not ideal, the anode bolt clamps the same place, 'n the nub will locate the housin',......

Personally, Family is Important, so I'd risk it, myself,.....