No Start 3.0

Z28juan

Recruit
I have a 1983 thundercraft with the 3.0l mercruiser emgine thats cranking but its not starting. I replaced the ignition coil but no spark

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 1983 thundercraft with the 3.0l mercruiser emgine thats cranking but its not starting. I replaced the ignition coil but no spark

This is your new thread. New threads are far better than posting old and inactive threads to get some help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

it wasnt your coil, only 3 out of every million coils changed are actually bad

being a 1983, you have points type ignition

you need to file the points, gap the points, verify the dwell, then set timing and it should run (assuming the issue is ignition related).

if points sit for a few months, the contacts get corroded by the humidity in the air.

if this boat sat for any length of time, you will also need to go thru the fuel system

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Like Scott says, it ain't the coil, it's the Points, that fire the coil,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

if points sit for a few months, the contacts get corroded by the humidity in the air....

And right there is the best arguement for doing away with an unreliable, antiquated, maintenance intensive relic from a bygone century...

Once you get the spark sorted, upgrade to an electronic system, like Pertronix, and never have to deal with points again....

Chris....
(And yes, I absolutely detest points. Especially when there are systems available that are so much better.)