so embarrassed...

altitude 411

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh man I want to crawl in a hole... This is so embarrassing. Finally finish my alpha one Gen 2 total reseal, water pump and bellows, gimbal replacement. Happy happy! Clean up the tools and wait...what the ?!!??. I find this under a rag. I'm usually so cautious and careful. I can't believe it. a 7/16 or 11 mm stainless bolt 1 3/4 " long w/lock washer. any ideas from those with an intimate knowledge of this outdrive before I tear it down and go thru it again? I'm an idiot...
:facepalm:
Click image for larger version  Name:	leftover.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	10759501

If you know and don't answer I completely understand...I deserve it. Stupid idiot. LOL:pray: Yes I've looked thru the exploded views. Yes there is a case of beer for a winner...

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander
Your four bolts that hold the upper and lower gear housings together are 7/16-20 x 1 1/2. Easy to ID if missing. Easy to fix as long as you find the nyloc nut.

...nothing like that contained in the innards.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... a 7/16 or 11 mm stainless bolt 1 3/4 " long w/lock washer. .... Yes there is a case of beer for a winner...

I assume, by looking at the photo, that the size you quoted is the HEAD size, not the screw size. Normally, a 1/4"UNC needs a 7/16" socket/spanner.... And you measure the length by the amount of USABLE thread, not the total length. I'd guess that's a 1-1/2", not 1-3/4" long....

So, looking for a 1/4"-20 x 1-1/2" SS hex-head screw on a Gen II drive.... Here's your options.
  • Screw holding the anode on the front of the upper housing
    Screw holding the anode under the hydraulic manifold on the gimbal housing

If it's neither of those, then it's a foreigner, toss it in the 'screws' box...

Chris..........

altitude 411

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I assume, by looking at the photo, that the size you quoted is the HEAD size, not the screw size. Normally, a 1/4"UNC needs a 7/16" socket/spanner.... And you measure the length by the amount of USABLE thread, not the total length. I'd guess that's a 1-1/2", not 1-3/4" long....

So, looking for a 1/4"-20 x 1-1/2" SS hex-head screw on a Gen II drive.... Here's your options.
  • Screw holding the anode on the front of the upper housing
    Screw holding the anode under the hydraulic manifold on the gimbal housing

If it's neither of those, then it's a foreigner, toss it in the 'screws' box...

Chris..........

yes Chris, 1/4 ''-20 x1 1/2'' thanks for the correction. It's neither of those but it has to be boat related (stainless) the only other thing that is dismantled in the garage is the Porsche and I KNOW it's not from Germany. :D Anyway I'm happy it's not from the inside of the drive. Still won't sleep well...:confused:

Thanks for playing guy's.Appreciate that.

altitude 411

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last edited: