New user , engine swap need electrical help

Hondarider9

Cadet
Sorry for the long post in advance . I am new to the forums hopefully someone can help I have a 2008 Tahoe deck boat originally equipped with a 5.0L mercrusier with alpha one drive, block cracked so I'm replacing it with a 5.7L gold package I purchased through Michigan motors that come with wiring harness ,carb, new manifolds etc . I am having a few problems with the last couple of wire left that I can'tfigure out I will post pics and try and give a better understanding. My boats original harness had two wires to plug into the SHIFT INTERRUPT SWITCH AMD the new harness does not, question is is there anyway to wore it manually? The old motor the wires ran into the ignition control module and my new motor doesnt have a control module at all. I am trying to figure out how to upload pics files are saying to large hopefully I can figure it out to give a better understanding

Attachments

• photo315235.jpg
    photo315235.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You would be better off having a mod move this to the Mercruiser forum

Hondarider9

Cadet
Sorry for the long post in advance . I am new to the forums hopefully someone can help I have a 2008 Tahoe deck boat originally equipped with a 5.0L mercrusier with alpha one drive, block cracked so I'm replacing it with a 5.7L gold package I purchased through Michigan motors that come with wiring harness ,carb, new manifolds etc . I am having a few problems with the last couple of wire left that I can't figure out. My boats original harness had two wires that the SHIFT INTERRUPT SWITCH plugged into and the new harness does not, question is is there anyway to wire it manually? On my old motor the wires ran from the switch into the ignition control module and my new motor doesnt have a control module at all.

alldodge

Staff member
On my old motor the wires ran from the switch into the ignition control module and my new motor doesnt have a control module at all.

Going to need to know what you have now. Its either fuel injected with a ECM of not with a carb and TB 4 or 5

Hondarider9

Cadet
It's a carb 5.7 engine from Michigan motors I ordered there gold package that came with wiring harness , delco Voyager ignition, manifolds, carb, etc was supplse to be pretty straight forward but that seems not the case. The old motor was a 5.0L tks carb engine which had a control module mounted to the side of the riser that the wires ran into and the new motor doesnt have one at all and no connections or wires to plug it up to.

Attachments

• photo315237.jpg
    photo315237.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... The old motor the wires ran into the ignition control module and my new motor doesnt have a control module at all. ...

It will somewhere. Are you using the old engine distributor? (Suggest you do, the TB-V system is very very good)...

If you're using a new distributor, you need to find out a) that it's proper marine, b) where the module picks up timing information (fire signal), and the interrupt switch goes in that circuit. It breaks that signal...

Chris...........

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...delco Voyager ignition, ....

That's why you can't find anything. The Voyager ignition system isn't designed for an interrupt switch (despite what it says on the box about being 'drop-in' :facepalm:)....

If you want to keep that system, you need to modify the wiring to accept the switch... Plenty of threads on that particular mod in the forums. Just search for 'Voyager ignition'....

Chris........

Hondarider9

Cadet
I have tried searching and I will keep trying, thank you for the info. I know the interrupt switch wires into the new coil but dont know which wires or how to check. The old distributor had a red/white and green/white wire that came out of it that plugged into the ignition control module on the old motor which the interrupt switch tied into and then went the the coil.

Attachments

• photo315239.jpg
    photo315239.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo315240.jpg
    photo315240.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo315241.jpg
    photo315241.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you would remove the purple wire from the + side of the coil and connect it to 1 wire of the new switch, the wire coming off the new switch goes to the + side of the coil

alldodge

Staff member
Below is a 3.0 but wiring is the same. Need the purple wire to go to one side of the switch. Look around the motor for a banana plug not being used, if its purple that's your wire.

Next the distributor should have a plug on the right (see pic) with 2 short wires and one longer one. The long one goes to the other side of the switch. This plug is also used to put motor in base timing mode to set timing.

3.0 wiring.jpg