Alpha One Gen 2 Oil Leak after impeller and shift shaft bushing change

srohang1

Recruit
Okay All, really need some guidance and help here. I dropped the lower unit and changed out the impeller using the Sierra kit, all went well. I noticed my drive shaft did not have a slinger and the kit didn't come with one, so I ordered on of those too and put that on using the tool, easy peasy. Also replaced the small gasket between the lower and upper near the impeller.

When I dropped the lower unit and tried to remove the speedo connector from the shift shaft bushing, it broke. No problem, I purchased the GLM Part Number: 21015 which came with the bushing, connector, and 2 o-rings. Replaced that as well.

Assemble everything together and it seems fine, although the propeller clicks (in gear) when turning by hand in one direction and locks when turning the other direction. In neutral there is no clicking, rotates freely. That worried me, but after reading many threads, I assume this is normal.

Okay, so I goto pump gear oil in the lower unit and all of a sudden I see a bunch of oil coming through both weep holes. Never had this happen before.

What could be leaking? Is there supposed to be a gasket or seal where I circled on green on the bushing? The new one didn't come with anything other than the o-ring that go on the underside.

I've also read to pressure test the lower unit, but haven't found much info on how to do this and what ports all need to be plugged.

​​​​​​​Please help, thanks!!

Attachments

• 1741667608_markup.png
    1741667608_markup.png
    1 MB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
split the drive and then pressure test the lower or try filling with oil to see where it leaks from
What about #6 click to enlarge
Untitledd.jpg

Last edited:

srohang1

Recruit
Found it! Took a bicycle pump with a plastic nozzle (didn't have time to rig up the proper connector) and pumped air, saw air coming from the shift shaft bushing. Removed the bushing, and the shift shaft o-ring was rolled. Placed it properly and put it all back together, no leaks!! Thanks btdr. At some point I will get it pressure tested just to make sure things look good.