Bad fuel or lower shift cable?

Hirvelam

Recruit
I just purchased a 2008 chaparral with 5.0MPI and only 60 hours on the engine. The first time I had it out it ran fine but stalled when shifting from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral. Not every time but one out of every 4-5 times, I immediately thought lower shift cable. As part of routine maintenance, I changed the fuel/water separator as it was rusted on and hadn’t been changed in quite sometime. The boat was purchased from a local dealer and came from an older woman whose husband purchased and shortly after he passed (explaining the low hours) the dealer informed me that they had no idea how old the gas was. I noticed the field filter (as previously mentioned), and changed that, ran as much old fuel out, added fuel treatment to the new gas and ran the boat wide open for a while and even pulled some skiers. By the end of the day, the stalling wasn’t occurring anymore. Is it possible that the bad fuel could have caused stalling when shifting, as the old fuel wasn’t as combustible and when shifting to neutral and the engine going to lower RPMs for disengaging for shifting caused the stalling? What are the chances a shift cable went bad with only 60 hours despite the boat being 10 years old? Only other thing wrong with it was a leaking water distribution housing which I already replaced.

harringtondav

Commander
I don't see a mechanical issue here. Engine kill when shifting out of gear is normally related a shift cut-out switch malfunction....several possible causes. But it sounds like you've gotten past that. You've thought through the fuel issues and also seem to have got those under control.

I'd keep on boating. If shift stalling returns, get back and ask for advice on shift cable adjustments.

Bondo

Staff member
Is it possible that the bad fuel could have caused stalling when shifting, as the old fuel wasn’t as combustible and when shifting to neutral and the engine going to lower RPMs for disengaging for shifting caused the stalling?

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Very possible,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm. With that engine and it’s well known common issues (I’ve had them all)...I’d be looking more towards the diz cap and idle air control valve. The latter alarmed by beeping when mine failed though. I’d bet more on the diz cap. Most common cause of failure on these. If it isn’t that...it will be soon. That’s a certainty