Crap. Broken spark plug

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Trying to chase down a high speed miss/bog. Rebuilt the carb with no effect. Started looking at regular tune up stuff. #4 plug broke off. Any way to remove the remainder without pulling the head? Some sort of ez out/left hand bit?

Attachments

• photo314812.jpg
    photo314812.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I gotta ask.... How long have those plugs been in to get to that state?

Chris.......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
with plugs that old I`m sure you will be breaking a few more removing them. Remove the heads , and remember to change them at least every 2 years no matter how good it runs

nola mike

Vice Admiral
achris, plugs *may* be 2 years old believe it or not. Removed yearly though. Specifically did a compression test last year. I think all the salt water is getting through the sun pad and leaking onto the motor. Other 3 plugs are out. Have a spare motor. Think I'm going to try an ez out, otherwise will just swap heads. Just trying to get through this season before refitting with a 4.3. want to get on the water next weekend, so trying to decide whether to go ahead and order all the gaskets or hope I have success with the ezout.. .

Alumarine

Captain
I know some people don't like never-seize and boats but that looks like a good argument for it.
I've never once regretted using it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't think the Lisle extraction tool that works on F150s with the 3 valve Triton engine will help you here. When the F150 plugs snap, the threaded part comes out; what gets stuck in the head is a long barrel beneath the threaded section. Carbon build-up causes the barrel to get lodged in the head, and then it snaps when the plug is wrenched.

I don't think the Lisle tool will help remove the threaded part of the plug.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yeah, not sure how they rusted that quickly. Like I said, I for sure pulled them last summer. I think water must be dripping through the sun deck and collecting there. Anyway, ordered a square tap in extractor. Threads I don't think are too corroded in there, other 3 came out without too much drama. The plug just rusted through . I always grease the threads before install. Hoping that's the actual cause of the miss. Rebuilt carb didn't help (looked clean on disassembly), all electrical connections clean, distributor cap looked a bit worn...

Bondo

Staff member
I think all the salt water is getting through the sun pad and leaking onto the motor.

Ayuh,.... The marine rated, with the "M" in the part number, AC Delco spark plugs are a ssteel Alloy body,......

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Managed to get the damn thing out after breaking 2 wrenches. Used a square screw remover. Forgot to check the Piston position before banging it in. Thankfully I didn't put a hole though the piston. Unfortunately I'm still having the problem. Gonna start a new thread.

Attachments

• photo315399.jpg
    photo315399.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0