How upset would you be?

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took my boat to a mechanic who did a number of things for me. One of them was remove a broken starter bolt (earlier post on this board about it). He ended up having to pull the engine, and did it during his high season. I was very appreciative that he would do it. A number of shops I talked to wouldn't even take it on given how labor intensive it was.

I also had him do the gimbal bearing and requested he do my bellows. I had a leak coming in through my shift bellows, upon inspection it had a small tear in it. Now- the rest of the bellows are currently water tight but they are going to bust leaks at any time. They've lost all elasticity and are hard to the touch. When we talked about what I wanted done to the boat we discussed that he might as well do ALL of the bellows since he was in there. The guy ordered an entire bellows repair kit, and charged me for it.

Get home and start poking around back there and damn sure he only replaced the shift cable bellows. So now I'm going to have to go back in there and replace everything myself. If he didn't do that did he do the seals etc?

What would you all do? I'm both happy he got the starter bolt out and pissed that he would do something so damn stupid.

TunaFish389

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take it back in till done right... I would rather pull engine then change some bellows. Looks like great minds think alike.

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Take it back in till done right... I would rather pull engine then change some bellows. Looks like great minds think alike.

Ha! Well- the place is 45 mins away and one thing I don't want is a mechanic that doesn't like me working on my boat. At the very least he needs to provide me with the parts he charged me for that he didn't put on the boat.

I would have done it myself but the bolt was simply above my abilities. Maybe I'm just going to have to do it and put some TLC into when I do. Just frustrating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Either take it back, or do it your self

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you do not find the mechanic trustworthy when discussing the issues -- I would not expect him to fair either -- and his competency would also seem to be in question.

In either case :

-- I would suggest you do it yourself or go elsewhere to avoid added troubles.

Bondo

Staff member
[h=2]How upset would you be?[/h]
I took my boat to a mechanic who did a number of things for me.

Ayuh,...... Donno,........ Never done that,........