Low block Pressure Alarm

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Gettin low block pressure alarm on mercruiser 4.5 Bravo 3motor 36 hours on Engine at above 3500 rpms

alldodge

Staff member
Water pressure sensor on the power steering cooler

Could also be the impeller needs replacing, or air leak between drive and pump

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
You didn't post a serial number so I don't know if this pertains to your engine, but.

Might want to talk to your dealer and ask to read

Bulletin No. 2017-01

MerCruiser Guardian Low Water Pressure Fault

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
I ask the dealer about the bulletin and this is not about my engine,. Engine is 2A502256 and it did ok for a week and it happen again . This only happens after a long run. Pressure is normal during the first half hour or so. Driving me crazy. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You bought the boat with the 4.5 about a year ago. Is this a warranty problem?

muc

Sorry I missed that you have a Bravo, that bulletin is only for Alpha’s.
Is the engine going into guardian when you get the alert?
There are 5 codes for sea water pressure.
How are you getting the low pressure alert? Vessel view or smartcraft gauges? What exactly does it say?
Standard or closed cooling?
You say that this takes a 1/2 hour of driving to occur. What pressure numbers are you seeing during that 1/2 hr and what does it drop to when you get the alert?

Have you had the dealer look at it? And what did they say?

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
MUC it takes about a hour and the pressure starts to fade. Starts out at 14 to 20 and falls as low as 5 and sometimes goes into guard mode. about 3 at idle. Dealer not finding any codes.

muc

How are you getting the low pressure alert? Vessel view or smartcraft gauges? What exactly does it say?
Standard or closed cooling?

If it goes into guardian there will be stored codes and operating parameters stored in the history section. If you are going into guardian and your dealer tells you there isn’t anything in the freeze frame or fault seconds buffers Then you need a different dealer or a new PCM.

This could be something very simple, but until you answer the 3 questions above I don’t know what direction to advise.

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Standard Cooling , Smart craft Gauge on Cobalt 220s , Low Block Pressure. at 5 psi at 4000 rpms. Dosent always do this and mostly after a long run.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
What does the engine temp gauge read, and how old is the impeller?

muc

What does the engine temp gauge read, and how old is the impeller?

Agree you need to monitor the temp. (a stuck open thermostat can cause low block pressure on this engine) But I would use the Smart Craft gauge. Will the gauge tell you exhaust manifold temp?

This engine was built January 2016 and sold late July 2018. If the impeller hasn't been changed, it's 3 1/2 years old and due.

If I were you I would still look at service bulletin 2017-01 because it has some good info on testing the cooling system. This same info is also covered in service manual 8M0119305

I would look at the sea water pump and the poppet valve assembly. The thermostat is an outside possibility.

But you really need to find a new dealer. If the engine goes into guardian. There will be info about it in the PCM.

muc

“Temp never gets above 149”

You found your problem.

muc

“Temp never gets above 149”

You found your problem.
I should rephrase that. You have found a problem.

149 is on the high side, engine should have a 140 thermostat. This leads me to think you may have a issue with sea water pump output or too much water is bypassing the engine thru the poppet valve.
Unfortunately you have a fairly rare problem with a fairly rare engine. Your engine is a “design 1” cooling system. The catalyst needs to stay at a consistent temperature. Volvo went with thermostats on each exhaust manifold to accomplish this. MerCruiser went with a poppet valve setup. MerCruiser had to issue a service bulletin on this problem due to the reduced sea water pump output that the Alpha drive has, which leads me to believe that this engine is susceptible to problems if everything isn’t just right with the cooling system.
I would be very interested in seeing what the fault history in the freeze frame and fault seconds buffers say. They will say what the exhaust manifold temperature’s are when you go into guardian.

My question to you is. Is this a problem that you want to troubleshoot and repair or are you looking for advice on how to get a MerCruiser dealer to repair this? I’m happy to help either way.

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Me or Mercruser Dealer . It dosen't matter its a pain. Thanks so much for your help.

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Muc not sure if this went through. Do you happen to know where the poppet valve is on a 4.5 Mercruser Bravo 3.

muc

Me or Mercruser Dealer . It dosen't matter its a pain. Thanks so much for your help.

It might matter, it might matter a lot. I’ll try to explain why it might be best to take this to a dealer.

First, you own a catalyst engine. These engines can be a bit touchy and very unforgiving if repairs aren’t done properly. As I mentioned earlier, the catalyst needs to run at the right temperature. To hot and it burns out. To cool and it will suffer from condensation and go bad. It’s possible that if you try this repair yourself you may mess up that balance. That could get very costly and likely wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

Second, your still under warranty. A warranty legally gives you certain rights and responsibilities It is possible that doing unauthorized repairs might affect your warranty. It also looks like you might have purchased a product protection plan on this engine. Some people call these a extended warranty. They are NOT. They have a lot less legal rights and a lot more responsibilities. And it might become void if you do unauthorized repairs. You would need to read your contract to be sure.

I am not trying to scare you (well maybe a little), what I’m trying to do is give you enough knowledge so you can make an informed decision. I do understand your frustration. I spent most of the last 7 years of my 35 years in the marine business dealing with these types of problems. I just don't want it to get worse.

The poppet valve assembly is located on the back of the engine below and to the side of the flame arrestor. That you ask this kind of tells me that you don't have service manual p/n 8M0119305. Please get a copy and read it before starting any repair. The poppet valve and spring are color coded for what engine, drive and cooling system your engine has. It's possible (but not likely) that the wrong parts are in there.

If you do decide to take it into the dealer. Spend sometime running the boat while you pay close attention to how long before the problem happens and what the water conditions and temperature is. You want to try and learn how to make this problem occur as fast as possible.

If you do decide to attempt repairs yourself. Please don't just start taking things apart. It could make things worse. There is some troubleshooting that should be done first. I will try to help, but please understand that I don't have a lot of experience with this engine and what I do have is in Minnesota. Water conditions here are very different from where you are. And that can matter.

Last edited:

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Mercruser Bravo 3 Block Pressure alarm

Ok Round 4 replaced impeller. replaced thermostat, removed water pressure sensor and flushed engine with all ports open. Took the boat out and ran it for over a hour. 2 to 3 psi at idle as high as 19 at WOT 3000 RPMs curse 10 psi. Temp was around 145 to 150 .. Hope this dose it ...