mercruiser 4.3L bellows relacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think your screwed. I would hesitate to drill and retap because i don't know the thickness of the casing right there, someone might be able to jump in and let you know. You can always extend the cable and ground to one of the bellhousing studs with a larger eye ring. I would think anywhere on the drive you can ground would be fine.If that is your biggest problem you will be in good shape :D

alldodge

Staff member
Have another issue, screw head broke off, which looks to be some sort of static ground on the bell housing? How F'ed am I?

If you don't keep the boat in the water, don't worry about it, not needed

alldodge

Staff member
Ok, I do not keep it in water. Just for info...what's its purpose?

Its to keep all items electrically bonded. So if connected to shore power in the water there is a complete path for the Mercathode to protect the drive.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a piece of your exhaust flappers. They are in the exhaust pipe, just below the elbow.

So since I had the boat, about 1 year, I was only able to run it good ONCE, after that was having intermittent shutoffs and just ran like crap and towards end of season, basically felt a huge lack of power and would shutoff. Could this shutter valve that came lose could have been causing this issue ???

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
For all you that have done bellows/gimble replacements on alpha 1 gen 2 drives, do you suggest an order of install based on ease an d experiences? i.e., gimble bearing first, water hose, exhaust, ujoin bellows, etc. I have the manual but I don't think it has an order versus just how to install each. Just looking to learn from you pros.

alldodge

Staff member
A exhaust restriction causes a motor to be unable to breath very well. It cannot get all of the exhaust out so it is unable to pull in all fresh air

You have the right order for replacement of items, and the manual does list how to do each hose in order. They don't use step 1, 2 3 ...etc, but it is done in order

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
So i have the Service Manual #14 for Alpha 1 Gen D2 drives 1991-present. The manual notes a grease hole on the gimbal bearing, however, the transom repair kit I bought OEM, that comes with all the bellows, gaskets and hoses and gimbal bearing. this new bearing DOES NOT have a grease hole, it's sealed. Is that something that changed, or do i have the wrong manual? Do i need to grease the bearing at all? I only see 2 zerk ports on the gimbal ring which seem to line up with the hing pins, nothing for the bearing?

alldodge

Staff member
Is that something that changed

All bearings are sealed now, no greasing. If you find a new old stock they can be greased. Your manual is good

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The gimbal bearing should also come with a plug for the grease nipple that was used to grease the old bearing. Remove the old nipple and put the plug in. It's a security Torx head.

Order I'd do it.
Gimbal bearing.
Connect water hose (use hot water to 'soften' the hose ends).
Oil monitor hose.
Gimbal end of shift bellows
Gimbal housing end of uni bellows
Gimbal housing end of exhaust bellows
Bell housing end of uni bellows.
Shift cable through bellows and into boat.
Bell housing end of exhaust bellows.

HTH

Chris.......

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
The gimbal bearing should also come with a plug for the grease nipple that was used to grease the old bearing. Remove the old nipple and put the plug in. It's a security Torx head.

Order I'd do it.
Gimbal bearing.
Connect water hose (use hot water to 'soften' the hose ends).
Oil monitor hose.
Gimbal end of shift bellows
Gimbal housing end of uni bellows
Gimbal housing end of exhaust bellows
Bell housing end of uni bellows.
Shift cable through bellows and into boat.
Bell housing end of exhaust bellows.

HTH

Chris.......

Thanks Chris. Just a couple follow-ups:
1. I dont see an oil monitor hose ( perhaps my setup does not use one?)- the kit came with one though
2. User bellows adhesive on the gimbal side for uni bellows AND on Bell housing with ring?
3. Any adhesive necessary for either side of exhaust bellows?

Attachments

• photo311269.jpg
    photo311269.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Kulle,
You mentioned tapping something into place in an earlier post. If you mean tapping the gimbal bearing in, I wouldn’t do that. I did that last year and now I’m replacing the bearin again this year. You will also need the alignment tool. Again, I tired to align it by sight/measurement. It was only off by a fraction and I coudn’t get the outdrive back on. I had to take it to a shop to get it aligned. I’m also doing the bellows this time....and have questions, which is why I’m back here.

achris

Have a look at my gimbal bearing video. I touch on how to install it ...

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Kulle,
You mentioned tapping something into place in an earlier post. If you mean tapping the gimbal bearing in, I wouldn’t do that. I did that last year and now I’m replacing the bearin again this year. You will also need the alignment tool. Again, I tired to align it by sight/measurement. It was only off by a fraction and I coudn’t get the outdrive back on. I had to take it to a shop to get it aligned. I’m also doing the bellows this time....and have questions, which is why I’m back here.

I mentioned I saw a video of some guy tapping it into place....i know that's not a good idea-and will not be doing that !! I actually found and ordered a alignment tool. I just didnt buy the bearing installer, so i'll figure out what to use to evenly apply pressure to press it in. I decided not to do the shift cable bellows, aside from it looking fine with no indication or tears, I dont have the special socket deep enough to remove the nut.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone know a DIY method to install the gimbal bearing using the engine alignment bar?

alldodge

Staff member
Anyone know a DIY method to install the gimbal bearing using the engine alignment bar?

I would strongly suggest not doing that. If the alignment is dead ON, all is good, but if not, your going to mess something up or at least bind the bar up so it will not come out

achris

DO NOT!

Use the alignment tool without the adapter and you WILL damage the bearing, again.

Chris.......

align+install.JPG

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have used a piece of 3" sch 40 pvc waste pipe to drive the outer race of the gimbal in, cheap tool if you gave it laying around the house

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Scott , thats a good tip. I found this on item on ebay...should work with my alignment bar???

but this says grease seal install tool...looks same as what achris shared. at the end of the day the goal is to press in on the outer area (marked in blue) of the bearing in attached picture..in next post

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
..want to apply even pressure at blue area on nearing...correct?

Attachments

• photo311298.jpg
    photo311298.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.