mercruiser 4.3L bellows relacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
I mean when after you glue and set the gimbal side....should you connect the bell housing or leave loose in order to start feeding the bellows on easier.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, to replace the shutter valves in the exhaust tubes, to be sure i am after the right thing, is this tubing and rubber couplers that must be removed? If so, whats the trick, no room to do squat...should i be pulling UP from the bottom or pulling OUT from the risers?

Attachments

• photo311750.jpg
    photo311750.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Need to remove boots on top and bottom, and yes they are hard to get to. Normally there is 4 clamps on each boot

So far as the U joint bellow, attach on transom side, then attach on bell side

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need to remove boots on top and bottom, and yes they are hard to get to. Normally there is 4 clamps on each boot

So far as the U joint bellow, attach on transom side, then attach on bell side

Got the clamps off...but not sure how best to remove, wonder if some PB blaster shot inside the boots would help? anyone ever done this before?

alldodge

Staff member
Need a hose pic or screw driver to get under the boots to break them loose. Once loose, pry and slide them. You can apply some pressure, it takes a lot to damage one unless it needs replacing. If you tear it with a pry tool, it needs replacing

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the one side off. JC what a job...and lots of WD40. Anyway... so i removed the top rubber boot and elbow. I can see the old style shutter..but not sure exactly how to remove it, trying to avoid the half thats left from falling down exhaust..After i get these new style ones installed I can prepare to close up the bellows job and take her out!

Attachments

• photo311754.jpg
    photo311754.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Pull the boot up and off the exhaust tube. You can then pull out the pin while holding the flapper.

Soap works best for putting boots back on

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
So got both new shutters installed...with the new part. So the starboard side as I mentioned, half was missing, which is the half I found in the exhaust bellows. When opened port side, it was missing, all of it , except one little rubber bushing in one of the holes. Assumed it was removed so I put new one in and closed it up. Hope its not lodge in the exhaust now that i am thinking about it more. I guess i'll find out .....last few things to do are Ujoint and exhaust bellows...hope it goes ok without using bellows tools !

Also do certain model outdrives NOT have a oil hose? Mine does not. My outdrive info

Alpha GEN II
Gear 1.62r
Alpha drive serial:0M406343

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
That's a 1998 and newer model so it should have a lube bottle, but it could be installed without one. Look on the inside of the transom assembly and see if you see where the lube bottle hole has been plugged

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
yeah the guy i bought it from said he put a 98 year outdrive on it. i havent looked for a plugged lube bottle hole, but def doesnt have one.

MyLord

Cadet
Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
DIY tools

this guy turbocorrado has what seems a nice install tool for both the gimbal bearing and the gimbal seal; ring if I'm not mistaken

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ring-installer

https://smg.photobucket.com/user/nab...7db4.jpeg.html

this is my own design for a gimbal bearing extraction tool using Rear Axle Bearing Puller Set and 2 x 4's.
They take any damage hopefully.

Canada is a hard place to get the real tool , sheeesh

All very nice, but this thread is 15 months old, and we have forum rules requesting members not post to threads older than 3 months, unless you are the OP...

Thread closed.

Chris.
iboats mod team.

Status
Not open for further replies.