2003 MerCruiser 4.3MPI Alpha I Gen II with an awful noise, need help identifying.

120mmAPFSDS

Cadet
How should I handle the shift cable? I disconnected it from the engine so I could sit the bell housing on the ground but it's definitely gonna have to come off the bell housing to change the bellows on it. Is it easier to disconnect it from the bell housing or to pull it through the transom? How does it come off the bell housing anyway?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Do you have the manual?
If your replacing the shift cable at this time get a control cable solid core . Remove your shift cable core, insert the control core from inside the boat to use as a guide until it comes out the back of the shift boot. remove old cable core leaving the solid core in its place

120mmAPFSDS

Cadet
Thanks for the input on the lube line. We have the installation manual but it doesn't appear to be too helpful in regards to how to remove the shift cable from the bell housing so we can install the bellows. How is that done? Sorry for the ten thousand questions.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Which part of the cable? Inner core remove the set screw and pull. Outer is threaded into the bell housing