Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 MerCruiser 4.3MPI Alpha I Gen II with an awful noise, need help identifying.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a new outdrive, new bellows kit, and new alternator. We're gonna get this sucker running. You guys know good resources and tips on doing such a thing? We'll need all the help and knowledge we can get.

Comment

This is a pretty good resource

'86 Glastron Conroy X-19, Merc 170
      '04 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 hp Mercury
      Richmond/Montross, VA

Comment

Run the engine on a hose first
        NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

We've run the engine on a hose and it sounded fine. Now we're looking to get the bell housing off to replace the bellows and most things within the bell housing. Are there any tricks to doing that?

Comment

being a gen ii type remove the trim senders, use the tool to remove the hinge pins. pull the ring from inside the bell, carefully raise the housing and cut the oil hose about in the middle, remove the water hose clamp and hose, slip bellow out of its groove and slide back the housing. If your replacing the shift cable at this time get a control cable solid core . Remove your shift cable core, insert the control core from inside the boat to use as a guide until it comes out the back of the shift boot. remove old cable core leaving the solid core in its place

Comment

Cutting the oil hose sounds like a bad idea. The bellows kit doesn't include a replacement. What's the deal with that?

Comment

99% of the time you break the plastic oil fitting requiring the removal of the steering cylinder to remove the E clip to remove the old broken fitting
                a brass nipple to rejoin it

Comment

did you guys ever figure out what the burst of smoke was? funny I was winterizing my '93 4.3L and spraying fogging oil in carb when i recalled a little pop/smoke smoke before the engine starved out( as it was supposed to according to manual). havent fired it back up since, but when i removed my bell housing I found a water shutter valve lodged in the exhaust bellows. Any chance that could have been what you experienced, a shutter breaking or was lodged or blocking exhaust , they are rubber and would smell and smoke? just a thought from a rookie

Comment

Originally posted by kulle View Post
                    did you guys ever figure out what the burst of smoke was?
                    I think we just went with the narrative that the gimbal bearing getting lodged on the shaft it sits around is what caused ours. Other than that we're still clueless
                    Last edited by 120mmAPFSDS; May 16th, 2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

If I cut the gear lube hose then what would I do to replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by 120mmAPFSDS View Post
                        If I cut the gear lube hose then what would I do to replace it?
                        Ayuh,....... 3/8" gas line will work,....

Comment

How should I handle the shift cable? I disconnected it from the engine so I could sit the bell housing on the ground but it's definitely gonna have to come off the bell housing to change the bellows on it. Is it easier to disconnect it from the bell housing or to pull it through the transom? How does it come off the bell housing anyway?

Comment

Do you have the manual?
                            If your replacing the shift cable at this time get a control cable solid core . Remove your shift cable core, insert the control core from inside the boat to use as a guide until it comes out the back of the shift boot. remove old cable core leaving the solid core in its place

Comment

Bondo, thinking its closer to 5/16

Comment

Originally posted by Bt Doctur View Post
                                Bondo, thinking its closer to 5/16
                                Ayuh,..... Could be, that's just a guess,..... Fuel line will do the job, whatever size it is,......

Comment

Working...
                                X