Vortec Head Swap

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
prybar thru starter hole

Gotcha, this would work best. Alternator wouldnt work because the heads are already off and the three bolts on the front of the head hold on the alt. just need to move the engine around to set the lash, il move it back TDC after they are done lashing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bump the starter with a remote starter button to set lash.

I am assuming you had the heads modified for adjustable valve train as stock vortecs dont have adjustable valve train.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Just got off the phone with my machine shop, i dropped off the vortec heads last week, showed him what you guys said, he took a look at them. He asked me to bring the old cylinder heads in, I brought them in. He claims nothing needs to be machined and that the springs I have will not require any special machining to compensate for coil bind. what gives?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
either your vortec heads were already cut down for .5 or .53 seals or he is not understanding. post a pic of your heads

this head shows a before and after mod of a vortec head.
148_0208_vort_7807_z.jpg

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
bump the starter with a remote starter button to set lash.

I am assuming you had the heads modified for adjustable valve train as stock vortecs dont have adjustable valve train.

how would they need to be modified? just swap over the rotators?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
My head gasket seems to be slightly different from the old one, one hole is not there on the new one. This is a coolant hole I believe. Also the Vortec intakes only have one intake runner for coolant, this is correct right?

Attachments

• photo311563.jpg
    photo311563.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Also the Vortec intakes only have one intake runner for coolant, this is correct right?

Ayuh,..... All Chevy intake manifolds are like that,....

The aft holes in the heads are always blocked by the manifold,.....