3.0 merceriser with alpha 1 outdrive, Rough Shift sometimes will not shift at all.

88invadercolt

Recruit
Hello, I have a 1988 Invader bowlder with a 3.0 mercruiser with alpha 1 outdrive. I just bought this boat off of an individual about two weeks ago. the motor is running strong but I have noticed that when shifting into forward or reverse its not very smooth at all making a clunking sound and sometimes surging forward a bit.
A few times I've noticed(only after stopping with the engine off for a while) it doesn't even try to shift into gear when moving the throttle forward only revs the engine, (I have checked to make sure the neutral switch was not pressed)
only happens when going into forward reverse is fine aside from the clunk mentioned before.
hope someone has an answer for this or can give me some more knowledge on the topic. I am new to boating as this is my first boat.
thanks,
Colton

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... Sounds like you might have a few things goin' on,.....

For Alotta general, 'n specific info on yer motor, 'n drive,....
Click on the link in my signature, Don'S Adults Only Section,.....
A link to adjustin' the shift cable is in there too,....

The clunkin' when shiftin' Into gear is normal, it's In, or Out, no slippage,....
Keepin' the idle to 650/ 700 rpms at idle helps,....