Power Steering pump

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So, after having an issue with a line at the power steering cooler (2006 350 MPI) and losing all the fluid I may have burnt up the power steering pump. A quick look at the manual looks like there is a fluid seal behind the pulley wheel. It got really hot for sure. Big job to rebuild? Is this a standard GM auto power steering pump?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
standard pump, Saginaw i believe.
you need to keep your pressure reliefe valve from your old pump though.

kenny nunez

Captain
Try sticking a small magnet into the fluid chamber and at the discharge port to look for metal shavings. If the pump feels smooth when the pulley is turned it may still be in good shape. If it needs replacing just do what the Doc said.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... So just how long did ya run it dry,..??

I don't believe that seal is replaceable, by itself,......

As BD says, it's just a GM Saginaw pump, with a different pressure by-pass valve,.....

rickasbury

Well I looked online and the mercuiser pump is 800 bucks! So how long was it dry? I could not give you an exact answer...I was trial running across the lake back and forth...I realized it was blowing out fluid at the cooler....so I put what fluid I had left in it and idled back. I would add today, and I only went maybe 300/400 yards..I had the hatch open and as I got away from the dock and bumped it up a little, I could see fluid coming out of the bottom somewhere...hard to see so I went back to the dock to check the connections. The power steering was still working so the pump is functioning ....I figured it was time to call it a day before I destroyed it...I will pull the belt off...it did not seem to be wet feeling around the lines on the bottom but does look wet behind the pulley...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Fix the leak, fill it up, 'n Go Boatin',......

It'll probably be just fine,.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I have used a pump from a GM car, and swapped it into a case . Hi pressure uses a crimped type connection , low pressure uses worm gear clamps So if it`s not squirting a mile high then check the clamps on the low pressure or look for a cracked / damaged hose. The low pressure hose is generic so regular hose for oil or transmission hose will do fine.

rickasbury

I need to get it pulled and get a look at it. I could not feel anything on the lines. Not being familiar with a PS pump inner workings, I'm do not understand Bt Doctur comment with swapping into a case? I'm not a mechanic, just to poor to go to one...I can generally figure stuff out but cause as much trouble for myself as I fix!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Pumps come without the reservoirs, you remove the one from the old pump and install it on the new pump. In some cases you can get them with the reservoirs attached. They also don't come with the pully, you will need the puller/installer tool.

scoflaw

Ensign
you can get 1 from autozone with the reservoir for about $70. You want 1 with metric fittings, post 1990 vehicle.

Your main concern when picking 1 out is the position of the return hose. You may have to mod it a bit.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most auto pump put the return fitting in the wrong place.If you can solder or braze relocate the return port. could even put it in the neck of the pump housing,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a saginaw can-o-ham pump.

get a rebuild kit for $11 at any automotive place, or simply get a new pump for $35 to drop into your can.

there are basically about 8 pressure reliefs available for saginaw pumps. simply order the one for the 1100-1200 PSI (GM truck applications are 1100-1200 psi. ). fords use 800 psi so they dont blow up their rack.

rickasbury

Sounds like there is a path rather than spending 800 bucks for a Merc one...I will give it a further look when I can and report back- thanks for all the input!

scoflaw

Ensign
I bought 1 for a 90 gm pickup, cut and tweeked the return tube and ran it as is. No problems.

rickasbury

So, couple of things...first, there must be a high rate theft of power steering pumps as they are a mother *^$($% to get off!

As soon as I took the belt off, the pulley has a lot of wobble to it so I assume what ever is there for a bearing is toast. I will do some research and see if I can track down the GM pump.....anyone know where to start with that? These parts places when you walk in the door if you can't tell them a make and model of the part your looking for then they are just lost and I guess I get it.....if they had that much knowledge they would be working on stuff making better money than selling parts.

One thing I did not like that I saw there is a magnet it looks like in the reservoir and it did have some metal pieces on it-could that be from the bearing and go all the way through the system and get returned to the reservoir through the return line? Have no idea what is in the rams but I sure am hoping that is not where the metal came from .....don't know if you can see it in the pictures...there was one piece probably a quarter of an inch long....a little thicker than a piece of thread. pump 1.jpgpump 2.jpg .

Anyway, any one know how to track down the pump at the auto parts store?? I hear they are pretty cheap!