3.0 engine ID

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I bought the old ski boat that I'm using the I/O from for my repower, the previous owner told me he had recently replaced the engine with a later model. The boat was an '87 model Avanti, but I finally found the serial tag on the engine. From what I find online the serial 4158791 is from '72-78. Is this correct?
I need to order a few gaskets and seals so that I can get this motor bolted back in and build the doghouse over it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That motor has been in production since the '60s, 'n the only major change to the long block was 'bout 1990, when it went to a 1 pc. rear main seal,......

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,.... That motor has been in production since the '60s, 'n the only major change to the long block was 'bout 1990, when it went to a 1 pc. rear main seal,......

Yeah, that's what I read. Looks like someone's been in it before, rods are marked with punch marks and every gasket was glued with blue silicone. Checked bearings, all good there. Adjusted the valves and gonna replace crank seals and gaskets. Hope to have it back in the water in a week or two for trials.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably should start another thread for this question, but I figure it's been asked and answered before.
Is this engine basically the same as the 2.5/151 cid Chevy like in the mid 70s Chevy Monza. I'm needing to get gaskets and seals and would rather deal with my local parts supplier.

harringtondav

Commander
Probably should start another thread for this question, but I figure it's been asked and answered before.
Is this engine basically the same as the 2.5/151 cid Chevy like in the mid 70s Chevy Monza. I'm needing to get gaskets and seals and would rather deal with my local parts supplier.

If you're not afraid of Sierra parts (I'm not) check your engine at marineengine dot com. Find the Sierra p/ns and Google your best price. I suspect these parts are from a std aftermarket auto parts mfg.

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,..... It is Not,.... That motor is a Pontiac based motor,.......

The 3.0l is based on the Chevy 2.5l, 153 cid motor used for a very short time in the 1960's Chevy II,.....

2 Very Different motors,.....

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope,..... It is Not,.... That motor is a Pontiac based motor,.......

The 3.0l is based on the Chevy 2.5l, 153 cid motor used for a very short time in the 1960's Chevy II,.....

2 Very Different motors,.....

Thanks, guess I was mistaken.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you're not afraid of Sierra parts

I'm not afraid of Sierra parts, but I'm definitely afraid of paying outrageous prices just because something says it's for Marine use. Example, that site wants $75 for an oil pan gasket that can be had elsewhere for less than $15 and I'm sure it's even cheaper listed for automotive use.
I'm sure there are certain parts that have to be "Coast Guard approved" to be legal in a boat, but give me a break here, it's a gasket.
Thanks for the link anyway, it was entertaining. I used to be an RV tech and saw the same thing when parts or accessories we're listed for RV use.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

NO. the 151 was a pontiac motor known as the iron duke. the 153 motor shares only about 6 bolts with the pontiac 151. other than that, the 2.5 liter moniker

the 3.0 is a rough variation (bored and stroked, taller deck block, etc.) of the 153 cubic inch 4-banger originally debuted in the 1962 Chevy II. it is a 4-cylinder version of the 230 cubic inch inline 6 from the 196/230/250/192 family.

the 3.0 shares the same bore as todays 350, however has a specific crank. the 3.0 is also only produced in Mexico. it was originally produced for natural gas gensets and fork trucks, then migrated its way to trash pumps and ultimately the marine market since the marine motors are a subset of the industrial motor division at GM.

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Scott, thanks for the history lesson. I'm sure that I'll learn a whole lot more about these motors in the near future. Guess if this project goes south I can always repower with diesel like I've done in the past.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey Scott, thanks for the history lesson. I'm sure that I'll learn a whole lot more about these motors in the near future. Guess if this project goes south I can always repower with diesel like I've done in the past.

CMD (Cummins Mercruiser Diesel) used to have a sweet 2.8 diesel / bravo longtail