Repainting Alpha One sterndrive

DJD

Cadet
Re painting my AlphaOne sterndrive Got it down to bare aluminum. I see many recommendations to do etching on bare aluminum but also see "antifouling kits" These state these good for bare metal applications they have 2 components... one is paint and one is antifoulant
they do not mention any special steps necessary if you are applying to bare aluminum anyone have any advise or recommendations ? I have a can of Zinc Chromate primer and Mercury Phantom Black already.... not sure if this combination would be acceptable going over bare aluminum..and it will not offer any antifouling protection

thanks

DJD

1983 SRV225
Mercruiser 260 ALPHA ONE

tpenfield

Staff member
I think you are on the right track with the Zinc Chromate primer. (make sure it is not inc Phosphate) then black topcoat

It you want, you could always add a coating of Interlux Primecom between the Zinc & the Black.

If you do antifouling paint, then that could go over the black with a slight amount of sanding prior to the AF paint.

scoflaw

Ensign
Anti foul after the last coat of black. I like trilux 33, lay it on heavy with a brush

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re painting my AlphaOne sterndrive Got it down to bare aluminum. I see many recommendations to do etching on bare aluminum but also see "antifouling kits" These state these good for bare metal applications they have 2 components... one is paint and one is antifoulant
they do not mention any special steps necessary if you are applying to bare aluminum anyone have any advise or recommendations ? I have a can of Zinc Chromate primer and Mercury Phantom Black already.... not sure if this combination would be acceptable going over bare aluminum..and it will not offer any antifouling protection

thanks

DJD

1983 SRV225
Mercruiser 260 ALPHA ONE

IMO the best thing for bare metal is to lay down a 2 part epoxy primer first. That stuff is awesome at sealing bare metal; better than Zinc Chromate, which is also very good. Then you can lay down a base coat of phantom black (if you want original Merc color), then gloss coats. Two part polyurethane paints have worked well for me on those layers.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
i think you are on the right track with the zinc chromate primer. (make sure it is not inc phosphate)
i have had much better luck using zinc phosphate primer compared to zinc chromate.addhesion and corrosion protection is mainly where i found it to be superior.charlie