454 with Milky oil found on pre-purchse

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at an older boat with twin 454's. I see slightly milky looking oil noted on starboard engine dip stip. Possible causes?
Manifolds, Cracked block, head gasket? Compression check shows all cylinders between 130-140.
I think winter moisture from sitting but have doubts as port engine has normal looking oil.

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at purchase of an older carb powered twin inboard cruiser with 454's. I noticed the starboard engine has slight milky appearance on dip stick. whats up? cracked block, heads, manifolds??? all of the above?

chartersj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Get them to change the oil and take it for a spin. Just running on the hose sometimes isn't enough to tell

alldodge

Staff member
Have trouble thinking of condensation, think more a leak from intake gasket since compression are ok. Was the motor brought up to full running temp and then compression done?

In any case water in the oil, I would think the need to rebuild unless its proven where the water is coming from

tpenfield

Staff member
I vote for a cracked block or bad exhaust manifold gasket. You should proceed with caution. 454 engine blocks are a bit pricey.

harringtondav

Commander
Agree with a leak or crack somewhere. My boat sleeps in IA winters, with an oil change before slumber. I've never seen condensation discolor the engine oil.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
doubt its condensation.

most likely cracked block from improper winterization or bad manifold to riser gasket.

FYI, a rebuild on a BBC will be about $2500

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Only time I’ve seen condensation showing milky oil is on the inside of the oil filler cap and perhaps at worst a wee bit showing on the rocker gear when looking in. Never really known it to show on the dipstick. That would suggest something else, I’d think.