Mercruiser 3.0 Freeze Cracks Locations

AWild

Recruit
Hi Everyone,
I’m a newbie but I love the forums on iBoats. Here is my current situation... I’ve got a 92 Mercruiser 3.0 LX that I freeze cracked. I Nickel welded the exterior under the exhaust/intake manifold. I pulled the head and the gasket and cylinder walls looked good. My question is... where are other locations that these engines are prone to freeze crack? Do I need to pull the engine and the oil pan? I appreciate any help as my son really wants to fish and wakeboard!

Bondo

Staff member
where are other locations that these engines are prone to freeze crack? Do I need to pull the engine and the oil pan?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... The most likely spot is behind the block's drain plug, inside the oil cavity,.....

'n Yes, you need to pull the motor, 'n oil pan to see it,.....

The odds of a successful repair is 'tween slim, 'n none,.....

AWild

Recruit
Hi Everyone,
I’m a newbie but I love the forums on iBoats. Here is my current situation... I’ve got a 92 Mercruiser 3.0 LX that I freeze cracked. I Nickel welded the exterior under the exhaust/intake manifold. I pulled the head and the gasket and cylinder walls looked good. My question is... where are other locations that these engines are prone to freeze crack? Do I need to pull the engine and the oil pan? I appreciate any help as my son really wants to fish and wakeboard!

AWild

Recruit
Thanks. I’ll plan on pulling it. Is it a location that can be die ground and welded? Also, are there any coolant galleys under the pushrod cover on the opposite side? I appreciate your input.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
3.0's are a dime a dozen. find another, spend $500 drop it in, align and go boating.

i would never trust a freeze busted 3.0. normally the crack goes from inside the water jacket to the crank side. many times the head cracks and the exhaust manifold goes too.

remember, when the manifold cracked on the outside, it also cracked on the inside. this leads to hydro-locking

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks. I’ll plan on pulling it. Is it a location that can be die ground and welded? Also, are there any coolant galleys under the pushrod cover on the opposite side? I appreciate your input.

Nope, weldin' rarely to never works, the iron is oil soaked, 'n the grindin', 'n splatter gets into the oil cavities,.......
It's a very thin area, 'n more cracks appear as it cools,......

Outside cracks can be epoxied,....

3.0ls have been in constant production since the '60s, 'n are a dime a dozen,......