New GLM manifold concerns

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Just opened the box and didnt like what I saw.Basic Power is telling me that what I am concerned about is a casting line.Looks like a crack to me.I have used GLM manifolds before and they performed as well as any so I have confidence in the brand .Anyone thinking this os ok??

Attachments

• photo309259.jpg
    photo309259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • man 1.jpg
    man 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo309260.jpg
    photo309260.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309260.jpg
    photo309260.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
I know cast iron castings, and those aren't cracks. They are raw cast areas that didn't clean up during machining. This could be from incorrect location in the machining fixture. Or the mold had some issues and that face was short of stock.

I don't know the gasket shape, so I don't know if these areas could be leak paths. From where I came from these are defective parts, and the machining contractor should have pitched them. I'd fight GLM for a return shipper and demand new parts.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Casting flaws , basically garbage. Get your ,only back and buy Barr or OEM

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
this is my personal experience with GLM.... 3 years ago I put a set on my 4.3... and now with over 650 hours they still look great... I boat in 100% salt and I do flush with salt away... I have split them the last 2 years to check them and I could not be more happier... I did check them for straightness before mounting them the first time and they where dead flat... mine did have some slight casting imperfections like yours (not quite as deep as yours) but I felt the gasket was more than enough to seal them and I was correct... and since then I have several friends that have used the GLM's in the last few years and they are very happy as well... thats my 2c you can take it for what its worth :D

jakwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You could get them decked to clean up the mating surfaces. Although I'm no expert I agree with Harringtondav, these look like casting flaws to me. If you're really concerned die penetrant is the correct way to look for cracks.

tpenfield

Staff member
Tell Basic Power that they look defective and you want to return them.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Spoke to Basic Power again.They originally didnt see both pics and one manifold was clearly worse that the other.They are sending me new ones and checking them prior to shipping and including a return shipping so they did the right think and I am much more comfortable this way.Kudos to EBasic power for stepping up to the plate.Charlie

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That's good! I put a set of Barr manifolds on my OMC back in '17 and they were perfect. I guess they all make some defects the customer service is what makes the difference.

Charlie next time check out Lighthouse Marine in Riverhead LI. They will ship to you from their warehouse. Mabye a few bucks more for Barr but worth it. If I recall you are in LI, correct?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
THANKS LOU,yes LI is correct.Lighthouse is a very good supply house.Not far from me at all however I am not allowed to go there any more..It is only 10 minutes from a bunch of outstanding LI wineries which have just about all added breweries into their mix ,and only 5 mins from the Tanger designer outlets.My lovely bride insists on coming along to Riverhead and the last time we went there we came home a few days later.A few days and a couple of grand later.....we checked out of the Riverhead Hyatt but DAMN we had a good time...I cant afford to shop at lighthouse marine,lol btw i have had Osco,Barr and GlM mani/risers.Even though I boat in salt water I fresh water flush after EVERY use.All brands have lasted and performed exactly the same.They have hardly shown any signs of wear .I have given all of them away for a 2nd life in someone elses boat.Cant argue with that logic....Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Kudos to GLM customer service too.They took slightly longer to get back to me via email but stepped right up to the plate and no questions asked sent me prepaid shipping and labels to send them back and were ready to get replacements sent out to me.I could not ask for better customer service.Thumbs up to GLM