Correct Bravo 3 flushing procedures with seacocks?

Mgoody73

Recruit
Good morning all I have a new to me...

2006 Searay Sundancer 300

X2 2006 350MAG MPI Horizon Port eng #OW621098 Sbd (don't have it in front of me.)

Bravo 3 outdrives with dual pick ups (sides and nose)

Seacocks for each engine as well Closed circuit cooling system.

My question is what is the "proper" flushing procedure for this system.

I have received conflicting advise and I'd like to get the proper procedure.
I even messaged Mercruiser and they simply referred me to the manual.
I do not see anywhere a flush kit installed in bilge compartment

Do I simply use the merc flush muffs and nose kit and run engines?
I do have a "fake lake" I use for generator.

Or do I close seacocks and flush.
I've even heard of people putting hose inside seacock and flush kit on outdrive.

Boat will be on rack out of the water when I flush at end of day.

Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Do I simply use the merc flush muffs and nose kit and run engines?
I do have a "fake lake" I use for generator.

Appears water is drawn in thru the drive for the motors, but to make sure both are covered, just in case

If raw water is drawn in thru the B3 drive, then use the flush muffs and nose kit to flush drives and motor.

If raw water is drawn in thru a thru hull fitting, then use fake lake and hose the drive off.

Mgoody73

Recruit
Appears water is drawn in thru the drive for the motors, but to make sure both are covered, just in case

If raw water is drawn in thru the B3 drive, then use the flush muffs and nose kit to flush drives and motor.

If raw water is drawn in thru a thru hull fitting, then use fake lake and hose the drive off.

I believe water is drawn in from both the outdrives and the thru hull fittings? Is that possible??

alldodge

Staff member
I believe water is drawn in from both the outdrives and the thru hull fittings? Is that possible??

That is a possibility, even though that would be rare to have both. If you have both then there would be 3 intake thru hulls. It would also have 2 hoses feeding each sea strainer, and one each hose going to each motor. Look at the strainers and see how the water comes in

Mgoody73

Recruit
That is a possibility, even though that would be rare to have both. If you have both then there would be 3 intake thru hulls. It would also have 2 hoses feeding each sea strainer, and one each hose going to each motor. Look at the strainers and see how the water comes in

There are actually 4 intakes 1 each engine, 1 for generator and 1 for AC cooling.

scoflaw

Ensign
Had that identical setup on my last boat, and a real pita to flush. The pump would not pickup water from the drive , no matter what I did. The drive water hose gets t'd inline behind the CF3. So basically all the water is pulled into the motor from the 1 1/4" hose from the thru hull to strainer.

I used the toilet plunger style flusher attached to the thru hull pickup. The only thing on that closed cooled system that needs any flushing would be the heat exchanger. You could probably rig a garden hose fitting up there to do that. I never bothered and had that boat slipped for 6 years and put 600 hours on it without any problems.