Exhaust manifold Elbow mounting surface

team shadow

Seaman
I'm replacing original 2001 Mercruiser 5.7 L EFI exhaust manifolds and elbows with OEM, non Dry Joint.
Mostly fresh water use.
Actually came off easy, bolts still look new and manifolds and elbows look pretty good but I know I'm overdue.

I know it's been brought up before and I have the 2001 Service Bulletin 99-10, but when I picked the replacements at my local guys store, they had a 2016 Mercury Mercruiser Repower manual which stated to use Perfect seal on both gaskets. I called Mercury and the one day he said use the Loctite 510 Anaerobic sealant on the Elbow and dry at the motor. I called him back a few days later and pointed out the bulletin and he said that may be correct. I think he just reads and doesn't know. Not like when you use to call and talk to Rocky.
So my questions are:

Loctite 510 on elbow and dry at manifold to head?

Lcotite 510 at Elbow and Perfect Seal at manifold to Head?

Perfect Seal on both?

Dry on both

Does the mating surface on the Head, the manifold and elbow have to be bare metal, the new manifolds and elbow are painted there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for mani to elbow - good quality OEM gaskets, and I install dry

for mani to head - good quality Felpro gasket and I install dry

I would leave the paint on the joints

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
First step is to take a flat fine file to the surfaces to insure flatness

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just did mine man. I used sierra. I cleaned the paint off the surfaces and used copper sealant on elbow to manifold. Torqued to 28 ft lbs. On this note I wish i would have left paint on and just used the good graphite gaskets dry. I wish I really would have just converted to dry joint but found out to late. I also checked surfaces for being straight with a straight edge.

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read up on theses when I did mine. Some guys clean paint off and use a sealant other guys leave paint on and do dry other guys leave paint on and use a sealer. I recommend leaving paint on and going dry. I'm sure leaving paint on and using a sealer would be good too