MC Bravo Bellows electrolysis Question

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have torn apart my Bravo transom assemblies and will begin TIG'n and painting pitted aluminum and replacing all bellows/boots. All old bellows that had SS worm gear hose clamps also has SS contacts to minimize electrolysis on fasteners. Except the shifter cable boots.... These boot had SS worm fasteners but no SS contact. Yet, the old SS worm gear hose clamp didn't show signs of metal erosion through electrolysis. The drive fluid hose connectors were all synthetic to avoid electrolysis. Why didn't shift cable have ss contacts?

scoflaw

Ensign
The stainless steel is more noble than anything else on the drive, that's why they don't corrode. Plus they don't touch the aluminum. Those SS clips linking the stainless to the aluminum would put the aluminum at risk. Not sure why they are even there.

harringtondav

Commander
Those SS clips linking the stainless to the aluminum would put the aluminum at risk. Not sure why they are even there.

The SS continuity clips ground the SS hose clamps to the O/D and transom plate, which are grounded back to the engine through the O/D and steering arm continuity cables. I guess Merc. uses them to guarantee no galvanic corrosion on those hose clamps. I install them when I change bellows. It's not any effort, and I respect Merc. engineers.

Loosing the drive shaft bellows clamp could be a disaster. I don't know why they don't protect the shift cable bellows clamp. I only had my bilge flood once....through a torn shift cable bellows.

scoflaw

Ensign
Well there would be no galvanic corrosion to the SS worm clamp as the shift cable clamp is evidence that it just doesn't happen. But hey , whatever.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Well there would be no galvanic corrosion to the SS worm clamp as the shift cable clamp is evidence that it just doesn't happen. But hey , whatever.

I know, it doesn't make sense not to ground shift cable worm clamp. Thx to all!