Boat Sitting for a Few Years

I have a 3.0 Murcruiser that has been sitting in my Garage for the last few years and my Question is: when I put the boat up for the winter after winterizing it the Gas tank has at least 20 Gal of Non Ethanol gas with stabilizer in the Tank, Is this gas ok to use or should I dump and Start over? second question if you recommend dumping where can I take the gas and or use it in what? I live In Nashville TN

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,....... Gas keeps longer when stabilized, 'n also when stored in larger volumes,.....

That said, What I would do is,....
Pull the fuel line from between the fuel pump, 'n carb, direct a line from the fuel pump, into a catch can, then turn the motor over on the starter, til ya run a cup or 2 of gas into the catch can,.....

Then Smell what you've pumped out,......

If it still Smells like gasoline,.... Run it.....

If it stinks like rotten gas, pump it, 'n dump it,.....

Btw,.... If you pull the spark plugs 1st, 'n squirt in some oil, the motor will turn over easier, savin' the starter, 'n the long sitting motor will have the upper end lubed, before ya fire it up,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you... What does Bad Gas Smell Like?

turpentine

even with stabil, you have about 12-15 months max before the fuel turns to non-fuel

so if its been more than 12 months, I would suggest cleaning the fuel system

also, if the motor has been sitting for more than 9 months, you will need to pull the coil wire and plugs, then turn over until you see oil pressure prior to attempting to start.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you... What does Bad Gas Smell Like?

If it really is bad, it will smell like "turpentine-ish". If you are worried it could be bad, drain the old fuel into some container and use it a little at a time in your vehicles. A gallon or so at a time until you use it all up. Old gas mixed with fresh fuel in the vehicle will work okay without issues.

scoflaw

Ensign
If it really is bad, it will smell like "turpentine-ish". If you are worried it could be bad, drain the old fuel into some container and use it a little at a time in your vehicles. A gallon or so at a time until you use it all up. Old gas mixed with fresh fuel in the vehicle will work okay without issues.

Like the saying goes...If you had a gallon of bad milk, you could add it a little at a time to good milk. It will work okay without issues.

Unless you hate your vehicles or yard equipment, burn it in a brush fire or let it evaporate in some open containers

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
With 20 gallons you can see if there is any hazmat recycling around you, but I would be surprised if they take gasoline. Like mentioned before, if you have a lawn mower or something to use it in but 20 gallons would take a long time to use plus having enough cans to store it in. If you don't want it in you cars, I would try to give it away. Someone will have an old riding mower or 4 wheeler they can use it in.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
guys, if the gas went bad, and you put it in something else, it will plug the fuel system on everything you pour it into. Bad gas simply needs to be disposed of. 20 gallons would make a few bon-fires