How important is the Harmonic Balancer?

Mtl-Diesel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey folks! New to the forum. I have a 1984 Baja Islander 180 with the Mercruiser 140. Boat is in great shape for the age. I'm the third owner and the boat has always been trailered, never left in the water, and stored indoors. Engine pulls strong and runs like a top. I redid the upholstery last year as it was faded from the sun. Floor is super solid. It was a steal in my opinion! ;-)

My challenge is an oil leak developed at the end of last season to which I have identified and am in the process of repairing. (timing cover gasket - was not replaced correctly by previous owner)

When I removed the Harmonic Balancer and inspected it, I can see that the rubber portion is coming apart. Parts of it are flaking off. My question is how important is it to the smooth running of this engine? Should I go ahead and order a new one?

Thanks in advance!
Rod.

Mtl-Diesel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the quick reply Ted. I assume this could be a contributor to some of the vibration I get on the water? I will be checking the alignment obviously once I've put it all back together.

Thanks!
ROd.

thumpar

Admiral
Engines can ruin themselves without it. The vibrations break stuff.