removing lwr unit on alpha 1 gen 2

grilljc

Recruit
Trying to remove lower unit. Have removed all six bolts. Per the manual I just need to tap with mallet and a wood block. I have beat it severely and it does not move. What am I missing? Has only been in fresh water with corrosion at all around the joint.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Define what bolts you removed 2 on each side, 1 in the front, 1 UNDER the trim tab

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah. Have you remembered the often forgotten one under the trim anode ?

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Like the Doctor said, there should be two on each side, one in front, and a last one under the anode at rear.

You also removed or disconnected the trim arms from lower unit too...right??

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You also removed or disconnected the trim arms from lower unit too...right??

Trim rams go on the upper, no need to disconnect from outdrive if only removing lower unit.

+1 to the hidden bolt, likely where the anode is above the prop shaft and in the back.

Also, last time I remember the drive needs to be on forward for removing lower unit.

Might I suggest getting OEM service manual or head over to boatinfo.no and check it or post before applying brute force on something.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Only in fwd to remove a Alpha drive , only in neutral to remove a Bravo drive. Lower can be dropped in any gear

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Trim rams go on the upper, no need to disconnect from outdrive if only removing lower unit.

+1 to the hidden bolt, likely where the anode is above the prop shaft and in the back.

Also, last time I remember the drive needs to be on forward for removing lower unit.

Might I suggest getting OEM service manual or head over to boatinfo.no and check it or post before applying brute force on something.

Yup. My mistake. No need to remove Rams for the lower unit drop.