Lower Shift Cable

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Discovered today that my lower shift cable is frozen.
Could a compromised shift cable bellows cause this? I just replaced the cable and bellows ~2 yrs ago.
Can the cable be replaced w/o removing the bell housing?

alldodge

Staff member
That is unusual for a cable to seize up in that short a time. If the shift boot was leaking and your in salt water I can see it happening.

You should be able to replace without removing bell

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Being a v8 and according to the cable routing if it passed or was resting on the Y pipe and you overheated ,you melted the shift cable. Remove the drive to inspect for water intrusion

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Being a v8 and according to the cable routing if it passed or was resting on the Y pipe and you overheated ,you melted the shift cable. Remove the drive to inspect for water intrusion

Will need to re-eval the routing of the cable.....remember, I installed my re-bulid last spring. I'll take a look and post some pics tomorrow. I didn't over heat.........but should the cable be over or under the 'Y' pipe?

harringtondav

Commander
Add to above: The shift cable bellows should have no effect on the movement of the cable core, unless someone got really, really carried away crimping the outside bellows clamp. Also, I can see it possible to replace that cable w/o removing the bell hsg., but it would be a knuckle skinning, ship in a bottle operation. I'd buy the hinge pin tool and save yourself a lot of time and cussing. <$20, or less on eBay. 90 ft/lb torque up.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you use the solid core from a control cable as a guide there is no need to remove the housing

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Think I found my problem.........
It was not routed as shown in the pic posted by BtDoc......

Attachments

• photo308944.jpg
    photo308944.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308945.jpg
    photo308945.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 0

FreeBeeTony

Captain
rubbing against the input shaft?

Definitely a possibility! Plan on routing cable as shown in above pic.
Think I am going to remove hinge pins when installing new cable/bellows........hope I can do so w/o disturbing u-joint bellows. Going to support from above (swim platform) to reduce stress.........