Can you identify this drive?

Boomshaw

Cadet
I have this 1979 Bayliner Santiago with an MCM 260 and wish to start replacing the impeller on it myself. While researching the different drives though, it seemed as if mine was a mix of different ones or was replaced somewhere along the way as I believe the boat originally came with an MC-1. I have recovered most of the identifying numbers on the boat but the drive number on the drive itself has eluded me. I see a faint hint of a number on the port side decal in the upper right but do not know if that number is just stamped on top of the decal or firmly stamped into the metal of the drive underneath the decal. I don't want to remove the decal and find there is nothing underneath it. Any help? Thank you in advance!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With the square cav plate its a R/MR drive not an MC1 type
the serial number is stamped into the casing sometimes removing the decal lets you see it better

Boomshaw

Cadet
Thank you. I will remove the decal and look. That is what I wanted to know. I did not want to remove the decal to find out the number was not stamped into the metal below.

Boomshaw

Cadet
Okay, I removed the decal and found OC582261 underneath. I think that means it is from 1987-95, so probably a replacement for the original in 1979. There appears to be half of a "C" stamped above the number. Not sure the significance of that. Thank you very much for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
I think that means it is from 1987-95,

Ayuh,..... Those years don't match up to an Alpha 1, as the Gen.II came out in '91,.....

The Gen.II is a fairly different drive than the MC-1/ Alpha 1s,.....

I'm guessin' you've got an MC-1 transom assembly, with an Alpha 1 drive slapped onto it,.....
A pretty common combo,....

Boomshaw

Cadet
^^^ I believe you are correct. Any idea why there appears to be a "C" stamped above the drive number? Or what the "R" stands for on the gear ratio drive of 1.50R?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Typical that there was originally an "old style" mr drive and somewhere along the line someone did the right thing and upgrade to a newer alpha one which is a good robust upgrade.easy to service.charlie