Alpha one gen 1 vs gen 2 removal

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys is there any differance between removing a gen 1 vs gen 2 drive. I can do the gen 1 in my sleep and looked on YouTube and guys didn't even know to put it in drive first or to remove the oil monitoring tube they ripped off. Point is I quickly lost confidence in the "experts" there. Looking to inspect bellows, gimbal, u joints, and change impellar. Thank you for the help

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Alpha drives with standard rotation must be in fwd before removal, Counter rotating drives must be in reverse for removal

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
thank you bt doctur i should have clarified that so it was not confusing to people since they didnt know what videos i was watching. Is everything else the same though bt doctur?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Having done both. Pretty similar. Perhaps main difference is my gen1 didn’t have header tank for gear lube. My gen2 does. You mention this so that’s good.

not sure if it matters but on other boats I’ve noticed the bottom of the skeg gets easily damaged by a careless removal. Some have a more robust flat thickened edge to them. Best to put some wood under it or In the “accidental drop zone” at least. Haha.

Also from memory, the trim rams fitting onto the drive are slightly different. Think the older have a bar with nuts exposed, so can take one end nut and eahaer off and pull the whole bar out. The newer gen 2 are different slightly.