boat keeps stalling

pommieaz

Recruit
Hi everybody, I have a 2000 sea ray 180 (3.0 mercruiser) with an issue. It has always started right up (after giving it 2 pumps on the throttle) and ran perfectly fine. But now, I give it a little gas, it will still start right up and dies after about 10 seconds. It will run if I feather the throttle but stalls after I let off or keep the throttle open at the same rpm. I put in new plugs, new wires, fresh fuel and a new fuel filter. The old fuel filter was clean and didn't need to be replaced but did it anyways. I'm assuming it would have to be the carb, anti siphon valve or the fuel pump but I would appreciate if anyone could narrow it down. Thanks in advance :)

wrench 3

Commander
The next step is to test the fuel pump pressure. The best way is to tee the gauge into the line between the pump and the carb. It should be holding between 5.25lbs and 6.25lbs when the engine stalls.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
By the sounds of it this is a cold start issue? Is your choke closing properly? Maybe some shchmutz in the idle passages?

How does it operate when the engine is all warmed up?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
post your serial number

is the motor a TKS?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like either the auto choke (of older) or the old tks well known issue if newer. Sounds exactly like the latter. There is a fix for it, you’ll be glad to know. All the best.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Look up tks enrichment on the inter web. Suspecting it’s all to do with this perhaps.

pommieaz

Recruit
Not a TKS carb. As for how it runs when warm, it still stalls when I'm going slow or slowing down. If I'm going 20 or 25 and then let off the throttle pretty fast (or throw it into neutral), it will stall. I will check the choke and I will post the serial #.

pommieaz

Recruit
Not a TKS carb. As for how it runs when warm, it still stalls when I'm going slow or slowing down. If I'm going 20 or 25 and then let off the throttle pretty fast (or throw it into neutral), it will stall. I will check the choke and I will post the serial #.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
When was the last time the carb was rebuilt or at least cleaned meaning needle and seats. Have you ruled out a stuck float?