Building 383 Stroker

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Almost done building a new 383 stroker. 4 Bolt main, scat crank and con rods. Aluminum heads. I found an aluminum intake that looks just like my old 305 ci Mercruiser currently installed cast iron. I want to sell old motor with all the iron I can save to increase the possibility of selling it. So not transferring much. Is there an issue with DNR or any real concerns?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
since you have aluminum heads, it is highly suggested you run a heat exchanger, even fresh water is not friendly to aluminum automotive heads.

why limit yourself to a junk intake, hopefully you have AFR or other good heads. get a good RPM air-gap intake

the DNR only care if you are registered and not violating local boating laws. they do not care if you have a stock motor in there or a $500,000 nitro-methane burning twin supercharged monster in there.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I live right by Department of National Resources, they constantly harass us. If you have a beer in hand and touch steering wheel, ticket. I was told that motors enclosed must have 100% marine parts. CG approved I don’t know if if it’s true so I ask. Thanks! Fresh water boat. Open cooling. On the Illinois in Illinois. Sometimes Mississippi. Heads are ATK/Pro-FilerAluminum 70cc/195cc 2.02/1.60

Bondo

Staff member
I was told that motors enclosed must have 100% marine parts. CG approved I don’t know if if it’s true so I ask.

Ayuh,..... That's true for all of the Electrical, 'n Fuel related parts,......

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Add closed cooling if you are going with aluminum in any water passages such as heads and intake without brass inserts. Aluminum passages end up clogged up with aluminum oxide and minerals from the cooling water when you mix in a little heat.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
with the ATK heads, watch for the seat inserts falling out. the only thing that is USCG approved is the fuel system and electrical system

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
DNR always very busy with inspections, sobriety tests, so on. I get it, I just don’t want to get it.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So intake, in my mind, could or could not be part of fuel system, I’m guessing no. I found a heat exchanger for 7.4 L

Scott Danforth

Staff member
carburetor must be marine
fuel pump must be marine
fuel hoses must be marine
fuel filter must be marine
ignition must be marine
alternator must be marine
starter must be marine

the rest doesnt matter, with the exception, if you want it to last, aluminum components must be protected with bronze alloy water passages, or you must run a heat exchanger.

is the HX you found for a full system or a half system?

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Scott, is there any part of boating that’s either inexpensive or simple? I’ll call the man tomorrow to find out if it’s a full or half system. Assuming half is not including the part that will keep my boat from exploding, right? Thanks, Jim

Scott Danforth

Staff member
a half system is the block and heads only.

a full system is the block, heads, and exhaust manifolds

keep in mind many of the later big block heat exchangers only fit on the big block as they plug into the plumbing. you will need to identify what you have. you will also need to make new brackets for the HX

an no, boating is more expensive than racing and almost as expensive as an airplane