Interchangeability of Single Engine Top Mount Controllers

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
BOAT: 1993 Chaparral Signature 270 w. 7.4 Bravo One

Hello Awesome Mercruiser Forumites!

I've come to realize that one of the least liked - maybe my SINGLE least liked - things on my boat is the controller. It feels as though I'm stressing the cables when I move it forward and backward. Then when I'm at high speeds the throttle wants to gravitate down so that I'm giving less gas. Also, that button on the lower part of the handle you have to push in to put the drive in neutral is hit and miss and also not very easy to operate. Simply put, it feels like junk in my hands (even though it's Quicksilver; not an off brand).

So I've been thinking about buying a new controller. I imagine ANY Mercruiser/Mercury/Quicksilver top mount should work, right? But what about other brands? Yamaha, Volvo, SeaStar, Teleflex, Suzuki, etc? Will these work as well?

Also, any feedback as to how to avoid the throttle cable "slippage" I spoke about above would be much appreciated. :cool:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I know that cable ends, at the controller changed a few years ago, just don't remember exactly when,......

Of course, the newer ends are known as Gen.II cabling,.....

You can use a Merc. or after market controllers for a Merc,.....
Other controls for other manufacturers won't work,.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Which one of the 2,000,047 different Quicksilver controls do you have?

It may have a tension adjustment to keep the throttle where you put it. The control may simply in need of a tune-up to ease the Throttle Only button. And you may need new cables. Far cheaper than a new control.

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,..... I know that cable ends, at the controller changed a few years ago, just don't remember exactly when,......

OK so if I'm following you then a new controller would have a new type of cable end at the controller. I don't need to worry about changing the cable end at the shifter and the carb, because those haven't changed. (But it does mean I would certainly have to buy new cables...which my be required anyway as they might be a large part of the problem with the hard shifting)

And the reason is just the cables, correct? The trim and neutral safety switch wiring can always be re-wired?

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Which one of the 2,000,047 different Quicksilver controls do you have?

LOL. Based on my extensive internet search I'm confident I have Quicksilver Part Number 88688A25. Photos from my online search are attached.

EDIT: I've also attached a picture of the same helm from my boat from yet another search of the internetz. :joyous:

It may have a tension adjustment to keep the throttle where you put it. The control may simply in need of a tune-up to ease the Throttle Only button. And you may need new cables. Far cheaper than a new control.

Yes. I would like to try to remove and tune it up first. What is the first step in removing the controller? I can't see any external screws to remove. And accessing from the bottom is really, really tight. I can't imagine anyone would be able to crawl into that little space under the helm...

Attachments

• photo308655.jpg
    photo308655.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308656.jpg
    photo308656.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308657.jpg
    photo308657.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo308659.jpg
    photo308659.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo308660.jpg
    photo308660.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
And the reason is just the cables, correct? The trim and neutral safety switch wiring can always be re-wired?

Nope,..... Length of throw, 'n direction is different 'tween motor, 'n drive manufacturers