Ignition Control Module - Multiple Failures

rcsummers

Recruit
Hello iBoaters, new to the forum here, but a boat lover. I have an unusual problem with a new boat (1998 Maxum 3000 SCR ) I've purchased. Some details:

Boat is powered with 5.0L Merc Alpha engines, S/N 0L063774 and 0L063778

The ICM Module (Merc P/N 861460-1) has failed twice under the same conditions. Take the boat out, get up on plane, run on plane for about 20 minutes or so, and then dead stall, no spark. Swap with port side ICM and Stbd starts up fine. First time it was like "Well, that sucks", with a second failure I obviously have another problem. So....

Checked electrical connections related to the stbd engine, everything seems tight, no corrosion, etc. It's a clean engine compartment.

Another theory is that the exhaust riser may be getting hot (ICM is mounted on the riser). I'm going to get surface temps when I run it in spring, but this seems unlikely, I feel like I'd have noticed this while trouble shooting immediately following failures. I've also been told that this would present other issues.

I believe the failure of the ICM is related to electrical issues, not mechanical (overheating)

My hot trail right now is potentially to replace the ignition coil.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Could a bad ignition coil create an issue like this? It is strange to me that the failure is predictable (almost exact amount of time on plane both times).

alldodge

Staff member
Not seeing heat or the coil causing the issue.
Are you using the TBV troubleshooting diagram to verify its the module?
What is the alternator output?

wrench 3

Commander
A bad coil can put too high a voltage into the primary circuits and take out a module. It's always a good idea to test the resistances on the coil when replacing a module. An open circuit in the secondary, like a coil wire off, can also take out the module but you should notice a miss fire.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
First of all, I am not all that familiar with your specific setup. But does the ignition module require some thermal conductive grease and if so was any used?