Am I crazy, is this possible?

devildogae

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have to replace the transom assembly, currently have a Mercruiser 120 coupled with MC-1 assembly and outdrive. I have a good Alpha ready to go. The boat currently has the shift interrupter switch mounted on the transom plate and is not power steering. The Alpha one doesn't have a switch on the plate and does have power steering. Will the shift interrupter attach to the alpha 1 plate? I want to upgrade the boat to the power steering so if it doesn't, is it possible to covert the old style shift interrupter switch that has hydrolic lines to the newer that's without hydrolic lines, and if so where would I mount it, I guess the trim pump would have to be upgraded also then?

I can always use the MC-1 transom plate but power steering sounds good.

wrench 3

Commander
The first part of the question, I'm afraid that I can say.:rolleyes: As for the second part I may be able to help.
The hydraulic lines are for the revers lock for the trim. So if you go with the alpha PTT you won't need them. The alpha has the shift interrupter mounted onto the engine rocker cover. So unless you can find an alpha cover you will have to fabricate a bracket to mount it. You'll need an alpha plate for the switch and the alpha PTT pump and hoses.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
very few 4-bangers ever had power steering.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... To swap the complete transom assemblies, you may, or may not need to redrill a couple of the holes in the transom,......

If you do the swap,... the rear motor mount spacin' is also different, so ya need the Alpha flywheel cover to match the mount spacin',.....

In order to get rid of the reverse-lock in the MC-1 trim system, you need to swap the Entire system to the Alpha system,....