Mercruiser 350 MPI MAG (2003) - No Spark, No Tack, No Oil Pressure

Gumbo Joe

Cadet
Greetings all,

I recently purchased a water/flood boat for a learning project and have been working to get it back on the water. I figured it would be a good learning opportunity and man was I correct. The boat completely sank and sat on the bottom long enough for fish to swim into the motor compartment and they were still laying in the bilge when the boat was lifted and I purchased it (for mostly nothing). I started by pickling the engine with diesel fuel. I then went through each wiring connector and dried and cleaned each connector (sensor, harness, ECM etc..). I change the plug wires, pulled the distributor cap and cleaned it (no water present), and changed the oil. I then proceeded to start the engine.

Miraculously the engine started and ran for about 5 minutes. I then shut it down, changed the oil, and restarted the engine. Engine cranked, ran about 20 minutes, and I shut it down and change the oil again.

I connected my Rinda scan tool and noticed a lot of odd codes, the ECM would lose connection and things seemed off. I decided to pull the ECM and surprise, surprise (not really), the ECM was full of water. I then opened the ECM, cleaned the board in "Isopropyl alcohol 90%" and dried the ECM under a lanmp. I put the ECM back together and reconnected it to the boat and the ECM connected immediately to my Rinda and had one error code that was not a false read (Pitot, Trim etc... are not used on my boat). The one code I noticed was TPS1 low voltage. I replaced the throttle position sensor and cleared the code and confirmed that the TPS now showed correct values when manually changing throttle position (throttle cable disconnected at the throttle body and operated by hand). I thought I had cracked it but then the following happens. I decided to let the engine run on muffs in the yard for a while and maybe change the oil again.

After running about 30 minutes while recording in Rinda, the motor just stopped like the key was turned off. No dieseling, no backfire, just like you would expect if the key was turned off. It's important to note that I had been running the boat from fresh gas in a can so no water should be present (though I have not checked the fuel separator after the initial replacement).

I stared to investigate so I wanted to know if it were fuel or fire so I sprayed starting fluid in the engine, replaced the flame arrestor, and tried to crank the engine. No go, not even a cug so I tested the coil wire to the distributor and verified no spark. I then made my way to the coil and checked voltage (key on) to both the 3 and 4 wire plug in the ignition coil. I didn't write down the values but each had 12v, 5v, and what seemed like 0v with just the key on not cranking.

On the Rinda tool, while spinning over the oil pressure is around 25 PSI (engine had 50 PSI idling). The IAC was 0%, the temperature was 82 degrees which is about right. Engine power was 99% with key on and dropped to around 65% while cranking over.

NOTE: The dash oil and RPM gauges show no change when it was running before and also now. All sit at zero. BTW, the reason I checked the ECM is because I noticed voltage on the ECM housing which is insulated so I assume the power was moving across water and activating circuits ion the board randomly and likley covering up the now remaining issue(s).

Any ideas what I should try next?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Having been underwater for that long, all the wires are compromised. The water will have been forced up into the wires and they are starting to corrode. The entire wiring harness(es) need to be replaced.

Oil pressure gauge on the dash and the oil pressure sensor for the ECU are different units, so seeing the gauge working doesn't mean the ECU is also seeing it.

As well as the wiring harnesses, all the sensors are also now questionable. As you found out, the TPS was flooded and damaged. The CPS, MAP, ECT, oil pressure senders, IAC, the injectors may also have had water forced into the electrical side of them, and as the engine warms, the water is doing more damage (shorting, corroding).

Having rebuilt a few engine that were submerged, I can tell you, replace EVERYTHING electrical straight off the bat. (Alternator, starter motor, coil, distributor, wiring harnesses, ECU, circuit breaker, relays, switches, sensors, injectors)

Chris........

Gumbo Joe

Cadet
Man thanks for the insight. I'm cool with that but I'd rather learn from this step by step so as things flake (if possible), I'd like to fix them. I'm really focusing "on the now" event and see were it leads. Might even be a good road-map for others.

To the question of the no spark on the coil to distributor, what would make the coil have power supplied to the 3 and 4 wire but not deliver coil spark to the distributor? Remember this is a learning project for me and what better way than to understand each step.

Gumbo Joe

Cadet
Also I should mention, this was a fresh water submerge and I replaced Thermistor and connector because I had one laying around. Not sure if that matters but the timeline for this event was 1 week. Bought the boat last week, this week would be 6 days since submersion. Boat was in the water for about 4-5 hours. One last point, it sank due to lack of bellows change. Shift bellow cracked apart so it sank slowly at the dock (not running). I replaced the bellows and shift cable while waiting on the TPS sensor to arrive. Gimble bearing o-rings held so I did not replace the bearing (no water in u-joint bellows).

Not sure if that matters but just for full disclosure...

achris

Ok, below is the wiring for the coil and coil driver. The pink/whites go to a 12v splice. The black goes to a ground splice. The white/dk Green is the 'fire' signal from the ECU and the wht/lt green is like the points wire on a Kettering ignition. (The wire is grounded, allowing current to flow through the coil, building charge. Then the signal comes from the ECU and that wire gets 'opened'. The collapsing field in the coil generates the spark.)

I don't know what test gear you have, but I would be looking to see if the ECU is sending a 'fire' signal. Probe the wht/dk Green to see if it's switching (I'd use an oscilloscope), then see if the wht/lt Green is doing it's thing...

The ECU relies on getting a signal from the CPS to send the 'fire' signal to the coil. I haven't looked to see if they are source or sink signals, but you'll find out when you probe them.

coilwiring.PNG

achris

Also I should mention, this was a fresh water submerge and I replaced Thermistor and connector because I had one laying around. Not sure if that matters but the timeline for this event was 1 week. Bought the boat last week, this week would be 6 days since submersion. Boat was in the water for about 4-5 hours.

I've has boats where the engine was under for less than 30 minutes. It's too late.

Gumbo Joe

Cadet
Yeap I have an oscilloscope. So I'll monitor B-23 and D-B on the oscilloscope. That's what I needed.

Thanks achris, BTW, what service manual contains this diagram? I've been trouble shooting with #36.

achris

Crap never mind I see you got this from #36. I'll reread... ;/

:laugh::laugh: That's why when I do screengrabs, I include the manual number and (usually) the page in the grab...

Love that you can use a 'scope (and have one). Nice to meet someone with good electrical/electronic diagnostic skills. :D Is it a usb/laptop or standalone, like an HP or Tektronics?

Chris...

Gumbo Joe

Cadet
Thanks, it's been since college since I used it but I have an Agilent 54600B. I'll give it a go in the AM and report my findings.

achris

Thanks, it's been since college since I used it but I have an Agilent 54600B. I'll give it a go in the AM and report my findings.

2 channel, 100MHz HP... Nice! When I was working as a computer hardware engineer I also use 2 channel 100MHz scopes. Now I'm no longer in that industry, at home I have a 2 channel, 40MHz, usb/laptop unit. Still does all the things I need, and didn't cost 2 months salary :D.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Chris.....

Gumbo Joe

Cadet
Sorry, just getting use to the Forum delay. You actually answered me out of order of how I asked. Time warp!

Fun Times

Staff member
Is your stern drive an alpha or bravo drive? Engine serial Number handy?

When the engine was running okay your RPM gauge wasn't functioning correct?

If you haven't yet you should try by passing the helm ignition key switch and jumping the main wiring harness Mercruiser cannon plug at the engine to see if it helps get the engine started again...Something to this effect, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUoXFIo2Ab8 This will help tell if you have a boat problem or an engine problem to start out with.

Gumbo Joe

Cadet
Thanks Fun Times, I've not had time today to look at it (with local Mardi Gras in effect). I'll get the engine number tomorrow.

I do have question though. Will the tach not working cause a no start (no fire from the coil)? I'll break out my Oscilloscope tomorrow but in case it does not get a signal, I'd like to try the method in the video but what exactly is he doing by jumping the 10 pin at #5 and #6? Also manual says to install a tach at the auxiliary port close to the ECM. Any idea what that looks like or what I should be looking for to check the tach at the engine?