Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2 Remote Control Shift Cable Output only 3-1/4"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikaika

Cadet
Installed a new Seastar dual control CHX8052p and Xtreme cables on the mercruiser connections on the shift lever attachment yet the Remote Control Shift Cable Output or throw forward to reverse is 3-1/4" which is outside of the Mercruiser manual specs of 3" +,- 1/8". Is this a problem? Also the Seastar installation instructions don't say to move the barrel on the cable 4 turns away from the cable end after lining up the cable end and attaching pin. Where do I go from here? Thanks!
Brian

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest contacting seastar, they should be able to help

ikaika

Cadet
Via email their tech support says just don't add the 4 turns of pretension on the helm shift cable and you are good to go. So that would mean that the 4 turn pretension is just for Mercruiser shift/throttle controllers. Is that right?

ikaika

Cadet
One of my concerns is creating too much load on the helm cable which on the last cable caused the plastic barrel on the helm side to fracture and so had a bit of sloppy shifting...

alldodge

Staff member
The 3 1/8 to 3 1/4 should not be an issue. My thought of adding tension of any kind will either cause FWD or REV to engage sooner, and the opposite to engage later. I would want it in the middle

ikaika

Cadet
Adjusted the helm shift cable without any of the 4 turns of pretension. Shifts OK on the trailer. Will try in water soon.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Adjusted the helm shift cable without any of the 4 turns of pretension. Shifts OK on the trailer. Will try in water soon.

You need the 4 turns to ensure full engagement of the shift dogs (in forward gear). Without those 4 turns, you may not be fully engaging, and that leads to high loads being put on the tips of the dog clutches.

Chris........

ikaika

Cadet
Ran in water. Shifting is solid in fwd and rev with the 4 turns pretension.
Thank you Gentlemen!

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
You need the 4 turns to ensure full engagement of the shift dogs (in forward gear).

Chris........
Not to question you Chris because it's no doubt that you are far more nolagable than I but I'm trying to wrap my head around this statement. Since lengthing the control cable pulls on the shift cable wouldn't that move closer too reverse?

Just trying to wrap my head around it

Status
Not open for further replies.