New (to me) U joint disassembly trick

harringtondav

Commander
Changing out my gear yoke I got stuck, literally, right away. I was trying to push out the second cap, but it kept cocking and hanging up in the yoke. After too many tries I did what I always do when frustrated. I went upstairs and pondered the problem over a beer.

"I need some sort of bushing". 'Nother beer and the light came on. I used the same 3/4" 6 point socket that I use as the cap pusher as a bushing. Schloop. I hardly need the jack handle to push it through.

IMG_20190222_124333489.jpgIMG_20190222_124348622.jpgIMG_20190222_124633867_LL.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I really hate to say this, but, errrr, that's how I've been doing it for over 20 years.

Chris........

harringtondav

Commander
I really hate to say this, but, errrr, that's how I've been doing it for over 20 years.

Chris........

Well, you're a master. And apparently I'm a mush head. It took me 23 yrs to figure it out. .....like using the top cover for a template to drill out a broken bolt. Humbling. :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Well, you're a master. And apparently I'm a mush head. It took me 23 yrs to figure it out. .....like using the top cover for a template to drill out a broken bolt. Humbling. :)

Please don't feel that way. I'm sure if I was in your field of expertise, I'd be the gumshoe.

Chris.....

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can't tell how you're pushing it out or in, but I use a large C clamp or vice. Hammers cause needles to fall out of the cap and the caps won't seat. Even with a BFH! Like I said - Can't see what's pushing the cap, but I've watched peeps beatin' the crap out of the yoke and caps.

Oh - More like 50 years for me. LOL

harringtondav

Commander
Can't tell how you're pushing it out or in,
. LOL
With my HF press shown below. And yea, I've tumbled the needles, and broken the caps. ...part of learning. Mostly learning the feel of the hyd. jack handle, and when things aren't going right.

IMG_20190222_124633867_LL.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's 'cause you're an old f...t :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Chris.......

Geezer would be just fine. LOL

I add extra grease to hold the needles in place and work from end to end so one cap isn't fully seated before starting the other side. Practice, practice and a little more. It helps to work on old stuff out of necessity. :smile:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I can't think of any specific situations off hand, but I've used sockets as press tools many times over the years. It's funny how you can usually find a socket that fits since we all have a large selection right in our tool boxes.

harringtondav

Commander
It's funny how you can usually find a socket that fits since we all have a large selection right in our tool boxes.

...like doing a R&R on rear engine mounts. This is the install. I found a bearing driver adapter that worked on top. For the press-out I used a socket that just passed through the top, and one large enough to swallow the mount as the receiver.

IMG_20180508_161032577.jpg

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Oh the memories.
In the late 70's I worked part time in a gas station/garage that a Master GM Mech took over. He was a driveline guy. This was a time when the early 60's Chev's had the 3 piece drive shafts and the joints failed a lot.
He used a little alum block designed for replacing the joints. IIRC one side for the yoke, the other for the joint.
He could get a joint out and a new one in in about 5 minutes.
It was something to see.