Boat not handling well

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rinker 270 / 350 mpi bravo 3- first time out to put the throttle down since putting the motor back in-2 years it's been waiting. Ran ruff to start but engine smoothed out- picked up a power steering fluid leak to resolve so that brought me back in. So, I could not trim the motor at all without it starting to porpus badly- I'd mess around with the trim tabs and it would shoot off in another direction! So when I put the trim cylinders back on I put the nylon spacer or what ever it is on the out most cylinder mounting bolts how the manual says...I guess it's a stupid question since it's there but it's hard to imagine it would make that much difference. Can that be my problem? Boat always drove very nicely before I pulled the motor out and all.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
My guess is you have a couple of issues going on here. Are you getting the full range out of your trim cylinders? If you unhook them from the outdrive and run them through a cycle, are they relatively uniform and retracting all the way? You may have some air in the system that needs to be bled out.

In regards to the tabs, it sounds like they are not in sync either. I know if I adjust just one of my tabs, the boat darts around.

alldodge

Staff member
Is everything on the boat that use to be on the boat, including any water normally hauling (looking for total weight)?

The B3 should have the spacer toward the rear to keep it from being tucked in real close. This can be a hazard due to the bite of the B3 being able to turn real fast

Now if all weight is as it was, cylinders do fully retract, then it is "possible" the spacer was in the forward position. Proposing is caused by to much weight AFT

rickasbury

now I know why the boat did not handle well...

Rinker 270 with 350 mpio bravo iii...took out for a test run and did not want to plane/handle and drove very weird...boat has been laid up for two years so getting things back to going....came home and just checked, one of the trim tabs is not going down...other one works fine and I can hear the motor running...so what is up with these things...do I have a gear or something that stripped? Just stuck and I need to have someone push on it to break it loose?? I don't want to do anything to it to mess it up further as I'm sure these Lenco tabs are not cheap!

rickasbury

I guess either way they are going to crash at some point.....dang it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Go through whatever troubleshooting you can before you chuck 'em. Can't speak for Lenco's, but the InsaTrim electric tabs on my boat are 27 years old and still work fine.

My .02

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
not sure this will help, but the chap 4 boats behind me has the very same boat and set up. From day one he has complained about the very same sort of thing. He always has at least 1/2-3/4 of a tank of fuel and all the gear.
the boat handles terribly and even sits awkwardly low at the stern, even sitting still. For years he complained about it.....then he fitted automatic trim tabs. Not the cheap smart tabs, but a more expensive self levelling version of what was already there. I can't remember the brand. It's not perfect now (and still sits heavy at the rear, because of how far back the fuel tank and general dynamics of the cockpit meaning all the weight is at the rear), but a dramatic improvement apparently.

personally I think it's a poor general design as a whole, but this has certainly made the difference. Oh he also sees pretty horrendous fuel consumption compared to similar boats in class with similar engines.

rickasbury

Well, that helps me want to jump off my roof! Kidding....I figured out my right side tab is not working so when the port side only went down good things did not happen. It does list some at rest, nothing you can tell on the boat- that boat has a lot of stuff on it and I would say I'm pleased with the construction. Also being 7500 lbs dry, it's a heavy boat
thanks for the comment.