4.3L Mercruiser TKS bizarre sound

Skindog23

Recruit
Can anyone help me with this bizarre sound coming from my engine. 4.3L Mercruiser MCM TKS 2006 engine?
I was thinking the pump assembly and thought it may have air in it or something but cannot pin point it and was hoping someone out there has had the same issue.
I was also thinking belts, bearings?
I have checked and there are no stray cats in there!
Thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Take a broom handle or stethoscope, set it against areas of the motor, put it to your ear and listen. Should be able to pinpoint the noise. Watch out for moving parts.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it could be a small vacuum leak, or wear in a bearing on a belt driven accessory. I'd try removing the belt just for test and run it for a min (watch temp gauge) and see if it stops. If so then spin each pulley to see which one feels rough. If not then look at any vacuum lines attached to the carb (choke pull off?) that may be cracked/loose. Carb gasket? mounting bolts?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like a pulley. With engine off (of course), take off the belt. Check each pulley for roughness of its bearings when spinning and try rocking each to see if there's any play in the bearings.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
sounds like a Sea Robin got lost in the bilge.
Does it do this all the time when cold, when hot
Does it change with rpm
Remove the belt and run the motor for a short time, if noise is gone you have a rotating noise problem that can be a bearing in one of the rotating items

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
sounds like a Sea Robin got lost in the bilge.
Does it do this all the time when cold, when hot
Does it change with rpm
Remove the belt and run the motor for a short time, if noise is gone you have a rotating noise problem that can be a bearing in one of the rotating items
Sea Robin! Good one! Oh the memories of charter boat fishing out of Sheapshead Bay in Brooklyn. Caught a few of those funny chirping fish.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
caught many of those scary looking prehistoric like fish in LI Sound and Huntington Bay in L.I.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That's a bearing in the belt path, either water pump, alternator or idler. The 'chirp' is the bearings skidding and not rolling. Pull the belt and check each one in turn.

Chris....

Skindog23

Recruit
I took the belt off and checked each wheel and they seemed OK. I also changed the T/stat and when I put it all back it didnt have the chirp. Maybe changing the belt tension did something?