Mercruiser 4.3 Thermostat Sealant

BobMaio

Seaman
I have a 4.3 Mercrusier. I am getting an occasional warning alarm that I have traced to the thermostat sensor. The manual says to install the gasket (with the rivets) using perfect seal. Which I did. I am pretty sure that it is the perfect seal that is compromising the conductivity of those rivets. Trouble is, how do you apply the sealant without it getting on those rivets. I am kinda leaning towards installing it without any sealant. Any suggestions?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
my head is scrambled today, but where is the thermostat sensor you mention on the 4.3 ? Is it the water temp sensor ?

BobMaio

Seaman
On the stbd side is the sending unit for the gauge. On the port side is the sensor for the alarm. They are both in the thermostat housing.

BobMaio

Seaman
The thermostat gasket has 4 rivets in it that are used to conduct ground to the sensor.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most alarms work by providing the ground .if your getting an alarm its working

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 4.3 Mercrusier. I am getting an occasional warning alarm that I have traced to the thermostat sensor. The manual says to install the gasket (with the rivets) using perfect seal. Which I did. I am pretty sure that it is the perfect seal that is compromising the conductivity of those rivets. Trouble is, how do you apply the sealant without it getting on those rivets. I am kinda leaning towards installing it without any sealant. Any suggestions?

use the perfect seal in the bolts that mount the thermostat housing... I have never needed sealant on the gaskets themselves so far with working on them for MANY years

BobMaio

Seaman
Thanks for the response. Sounds like I will skip the perfect seal on the gasket itself.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Perfect seal on the bolt threads, gaskets remain dry.

alldodge

Staff member
I am getting an occasional warning alarm that I have traced to the thermostat sensor

What alarm are you getting?
Solid horn, beeps,

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe the switch is the problem and not the gasket. As BT mentioned, they turn ON by applying a ground. If you where not making a good ground then the alarm would not come ON. So if your gauge is accurate and your not overheating, then its the switch

BobMaio

Seaman
When I pulled the thermostat housing off, the gasket was still attached to the housing. So I was able to test the conductivity and found 3 of the 4 rivets were not conducting ground because of the sealant. However one was. Thanks to everyone's input here is the plan. I ordered a new sensor and when I install the unit I will only apply perfect seal to the bolts and not the gasket.