Broken impeller

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well....I have lossed my impeller 2x at one ramp I have used 2x , guess I get the hull two far out of the water...long story...anyway, always found all the pieces in the pump prior...I seem to be missing one tab out of 5. The others broke clean and don't seem to be chasing smaller pieces...first thought was the heat exchanger but the first stop for the raw water is the power steering cooler which I would think it would go through..where do I hunt this piece down at?? Crap!

alldodge

Staff member
Had to go look again, how about putting this in your sig so at least where in the right ball park when we start looking
2006 350 mpi bravo lll Closed cooling

Serial number which is even better

I'm looking in the SN range 0W310000 THRU 0W649999

From the pump it goes by the fuel pump venture tube then the power steering cooler. Normally the pieces would be caught in the cooler.

Have you tried back flushing from cooler to the pump?

If so, then the pieces may have broken smaller and could be in other places

rickasbury

I pulled that line off the pump guess I will start there...dang it! If it's a big piece like I suspect it could be stuck and just not find it?

rickasbury

Should I back flush from the heat exchanger? I'm really lost on where it could have gone...and it could have fallen out and did not see it...

alldodge

Staff member
Give me a serial number so I can look at your exact motor Please ..........................................

rickasbury

It's ow038097....so where is the farthest point up stream I can pull a hose off and blast it with some water? Would not make it very far into the heat exchanger....pull the port side end off or both caps? I would think as soon as it came apart that piece would not make it to far? Only 3 of the vains were left of the impeller...

alldodge

Staff member
OK you have Gen 2 cool fuel and not the venture tube
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31748/8093/220

After the PS cooler, then cool fuel and on to water dist housing and to heat exchanger. Flush from the dist housing back, and if not found it will probably make its way out of the motor. Can also check the end caps of the HE but I would be inclined to just let it go.

If it gets hung in the thermostat it won't close fully and motor will run cooler. If it gets hung in the HE it may not be noticed unless the water in your area gets pretty warm

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If he has closed cooling there is absolutely no way any impeller parts could get to the thermostat. Impeller is in the sea water section, thermostat is in the freshwater section...

It'll be in the steering oil cooler, the cool fuel cooler or the HE inlet side. If it's small enough to make it through the tubes once in the HE, then it's gone out the exhaust...

Chris....

rickasbury

So if it's still in one piece it would never make it through the heat exchanger right? I'm not sure I get how the water gets to the tubes...I will do as suggested...is there one hose at the heat exchanger if it made it that far it would plug? I'd assume now as the hole thing came apart it did not make it far- with a new impeller it's going to get on the move ...thanks Dodge.

alldodge

Staff member
If it broke up it could make it thru the tubes. You can remove the one end cap where the hose goes it and have a look. If it was in one piece it should not have made it thru the PS cooler

I don't see it plugging any hose

Click image for larger version  Name:	hose.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	10706211

scoflaw

Ensign
That's the same setup as mine. There are no tubes in the CF2, or the PS cooler, they're jacketed with a 1 1/4" straight thru shot. I'd pull the end cap on the HE

rickasbury

No, I meant the tubes in the HS...I have a pillow case I'm going to attach to the hose to the PS cooler and pull the hose off the distribution housing and see if I can catch it... otherwise will hope it will stay where it is and not cause trouble!

rickasbury

Dodge- I think I will pull the hose off where you show at the HS....but it gets the question what does that distribution housing do if it only connects the two hoses? Also, by memory there are some little 2" hoses or something that come off it like drains?

alldodge

Staff member
The distribution housing is used mainly as a the lowest point to drain water for winterization. The smaller hoses are drain lines which are used for the same. Once lines are filled there will be little if any water passing thru during normal operation.

If unable to find the piece then extra attention to ensure the small lines are open and drained, even more so during winterization.

rickasbury

So it would not go through the check valve? What is it, a one way valve so water does not drain back? If so my plan ain't going to work to good!

alldodge

Staff member
It may go thru but could also get hung. Do agree, if the check valve is working there will be a problem back flushing thru it.

It is designed to help keep it from draining backwards

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the pump running dry to cause these failures ?-------If so why ?-----That is a NO, NO !

rickasbury

Well...couple of things to the comments....I did pull the hose off the HE and stuck a hose in it...it did back flow so I don't know if that's good or bad...did not get an impellet piece but it may have fallen out of the pump while I carried to my little shop out back. Yes, I guess it ran dry but I think I did that to myself .. the ramp I was at I guess I got the hull to high on the trailer with the motor running although the back of the transom I thought was ok. Repaired, water flows so I guess I'm good for some boating this weekend. Work is slow, I assume with all the politic bs going on at the moment so might just take a couple Vaca dsys and enjoy our beautiful 85 weather!