Mercury smart vessel

BladeRunn

Cadet
Ok. Hi again.
Yesterday We were able to maiden my late inlaw’s incredible Riva Aquarama roundabout replica. All went awesome, double V8 350 ‘Eric’s doing their thing. Cranking up those engines and listening to their firing up to life brought tears to all present; he passed away three months ago leaving this huge project unfinished at 90% done.

But another tricky question came up, since I didn’t get any engine info on the smart vessel system screen. I need to know if it ( smart vessel system) will work if the nmea cable does not have the resistor end cap? When I run the Network Device List in the Smart View 703 monitor, it only shows me the 703 unit and it’s subsystms; it does not show me the vessel view link controller, so there is obviously a communication problem between them. The nmea cable is connected between the vessel view link controller and the 703 display, the only thing I figure is missing is the darned terminator cap which off course I can’t find anywhere.
will that cap prevent the whole system from running?? Any ideas to bypass this??

thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I need to know if it ( smart vessel system) will work if the nmea cable does not have the resistor end cap?

NEMA requires termination resistors at each end of the cable

nema back bone.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
the vessel view mobile certainly needs the terminator cap on the early MPI engines. Mine didn’t work at all until I got the yellow terminator cap. Was only a few bucks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.. Was only a few bucks

Or go to any electronics shop and buy a couple of 120 resistors and plug them into each end of the backbone. Cost you a couple of pennies each.

Chris....