2018 6.2 V8 Mercury smartdrive harness

BladeRunn

Cadet
hi people. I need help. I Just took over my late father in law’s project, he built a Riva Aquarama replica, code name Volare.

He passed away in the final stages of completing the boat. Twin engines, Mercruisers 6.2 lt V8s, 700 bhp.

Given my sailing and nautical background, have been able to successfully make most of the systems work. I am at a standstill though regarding the hidráulics for the helm system. The boat has an Ultraflex pump already wired, but the two leads that must go into the ignition key are not installed. I have absolutely no clew as to where or how they connect into the electrical harness of the ignition circuit. Both engines have a classical 4 point turn key system (off, acc, on, Run).

The hidraulic ayatem will not even power up unless it detects the ignition is in the on position.

If if any one can give me a detailed guide as to where these wires must go (they are a pair, one runs into each key respectively), I would greatly appreciate it.

Let es me know if you need images to understand the layout.

alldodge

Staff member
Is this a inboard or I/O?
If its an inboard, then the steering just goes to a cylinder which controls the rudders. It doesn't turn ON, unless your talking about an Auto pilot add on.

Unless things have changed the Ultraflex hydraulic steering does not use electrical wiring.

BladeRunn

Cadet
Inboard engines.
Believe me, this ultraflex unit DOES turn on. It even has an electronic panel on the dashboard where you do turn it on and off and where you can select the steering response with three presets, for mooring, cruising or normal response.

Bondo

Staff member
[this ultraflex unit DOES turn on./QUOTE]

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Can you Id this unit better,..??

Part number,..??
Model number,..??
Maybe a link,..??

BladeRunn

Cadet
Sure Bondo
ultraflex power unit
model (part number) 42096E
SN 373886000008

the in dashboard control unit is this one

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Well,... This is what I found,.....

The boat has an Ultraflex pump already wired, but the two leads that must go into the ignition key are not installed. I have absolutely no clew as to where or how they connect into the electrical harness of the ignition circuit.

If the hull was wired with standard color wirin',.......
Any purple wires under the dash,... Should be the ignition circuit,......

BladeRunn

Cadet
Yes, but the Mercruiser instalation manual specifically states that you should not tap or tamper with or into the harness and that you must connect to an accessory port, so I am obviously reluctant to that just that -tapping into the positive lead on the key switch.

I Suppose there’s got to be a specific point where I have to connect to, but I can’t figure
our where or which one and that’s why I’m asking.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Does the Merc harness power the dash,..??

If so, what color wire,..?? it should be purple,.....
If so, find a wire under the dash, insteada inside the harness,......

BladeRunn

Cadet
Yes. That’s the one. The hidraulic cylinder moves a bar that in turn moves twin rudders, starboard and port. The rudders Re kinda smallish, but now that you mention the system is for outboard use, it kind of gives me the creeps to think that this system is going to be responsible of steering a 700 bhp boat.

alldodge

Staff member
Its my understanding that your not talking about connecting the master drive to the APS (automatic power selector), you want to know where to connect the "Key Power".

If this is correct, then Bondo has your answer.
Look at the Ignition Key Switch and there should be at least 3 wires
1 - Red/Purple - Fused power from motor
2 - Purple - Ignition ON (or Run)
3 - Yellow/Red - Start

Connect the Key Power lead to the Purple wire

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The wire you're connecting isn't draw much current (a few milliamps at most), it's just looking for a signal to indicate the key is on. Connecting to the Merc instrument harness in this case is perfectly acceptable. The instruction not to connect is because people try to run high current draw items like pumps or those god-awful high power amplifiers from it, and the wiring just isn't designed for those...

BladeRunn

Cadet
I hear you guys. It makes sense, the purple wire in the ignition is the one I’m looking for. I just have to insist that I would have thought that given the pain Mercruiser has taken in desingning and producing those connectors, they would go one more step further and provide a specific point to connect to with a purpose built plug.

I will I’ll try this and let you know how it goes. Too bad I can’t upload pictures of the boat for you to be able to admire

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't blame Mercruiser, they would have a plug and play, just like their Smartcraft systems.

It's Ultraflex and their design to tap into M/C power. What is their recommendation?

As I've said 2 times, now 3 - Call Ultraflex and ask them. While you're talking to them, ask if this is workable for your drives since it implies it's for outboards.

BladeRunn

Cadet
Tapped into the purple wire.
The unit turned on. I now have helm control.
Thank you guys!!